Troubleshooting my Hard Start

rman

Reaction score
Hello PSA!

About a week ago i posted about hard starting on the Looney Tune. I returned to stock and she fired up perfectly.
My mechanic suggested I try out Gearhead's tunes, which i eventually will. Registration is due this month, and its going to be about $400 (CA)... thats my ARP money!

I did speak with Larz from Gearhead, and he was confident their tunes could remedy the long crank/hard start. Vivian says they don't modify startup parameters, but Larz mentioned it sounds like the hard start/long crank is due to the Torque Tables used during startup. He ruled out HPOP since she starts fine warm.

Rene with Quick Tricks asked me to get my FICM, IPR, and ICP values while cranking. He thinks it's a coolant leak and hydrolock that's causing the white smoke and hard starts. The truck runs beautifully and doesn't puke, no coolant loss or sweet smell, no white smoke while running. Everything I've read online says it's raw fuel. I've read a handful of posts with similar issues with both ID and QuickTricks tunes being rich at startup.

Looney Tune loaded, while Cranking:
FICM: 49.0V
ICP: 1500+
IPR: 75% climbs to 85%

it took 2 crankings to get her fired this morning, ambient 52*, ECT/EOT 68*

Yesterday she started first crank, although about 6+ seconds. ECT/EOT was in the mid 70s.

About 700 miles on the oil (T6) and all filters (Racor).

Side note: I've used half a tank in about 100 miles. Could be due to me driving 50/50 Geriatric/Teenager, but it still seems a bit exessive. My first tank on the Looney got me over 300 miles.

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

rman

Reaction score
bump. Got an email from rene today, now he says its HPO or LPO due to the 85% IPR.

Wouldn't an HPO or LPO issue give me sub-500psi ICP readings at 85%?

The X4 i also bought from them acts very strangely, ive asked them about it a few times and sent them a video but they haven't addressed it. Selecting PIDs it just scrolls through the PIDs randomly and I can never select the one I need.

I really need to get this truck straightened out. Rene suggests i get my truck to a diesel tech, my diesel guy says it's the tune,and another tuner says its the tune.....

anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.