Truck just died.

jimbojones

Reaction score
So here is the back story. Truck is a 2006 KR 150k miles on it. Fuel filters changed with every oil change since I got it with 98k on it. Nothing but Motorcraft filters. I run Delo 5w40 oil and change every 5000 miles. Only mods are blue spring, 4 inch exhaust, coolant switched to ELC and filter kit installed. I plug my truck in every night and it was running without a hiccup, till the other day.

I went and started it up and let it warm up and headed off to the post office. About half a mile into the trip the truck started stumbling and acting like it was missing really bad. In the next mile or 2 I slowly lost power until it just, well, died.

I thought I had gelled fuel at first so I grabbed the tools and took off the secondary filter cap, almost no fuel in it. Pulled the primary/fuel pump filter and cap and fuel came out. Reinstalled both caps and tried to get it to crank. It wouldn't atart. While waiting for the tow truck I tried to get it to turn over. It may have done it 3 or 4 times, ran fine for a minute and just died.

I had my girlfriend try to start it while I had my hand on the fuel pump. I couldn't hear it whine but felt like it was vibrating in my hand. Is this a sign of frozen fuel lines or a bad fuel pump or something worse? I have had 0 problems with this truck up until this point.
Thanks

Gary

Reaction score
I'd check FICM voltage first, you should see 46-48 volts, <45 is no good. The only way to properly check fuel pressure is with a gauge.

jimbojones

Reaction score
The batteries and alternator are both newer. Last year. Truck ran like a top. That's what I don't understand. It just stumbled and died.

jimbojones

Reaction score
The ficm? Or the 6.0? Lol
Seriously though. I am trying to see where on the money chain this is gonna land me. I take really good care of this thing and thought it was fuel related due to Temps and everyhting else. No CEL on the dash and no codes stored. It just cranks and cranks. Then it may start, run great, start to miss, then die.

Gary

Reaction score
You could have a fuel gelling problem, diesel fuel can gel at 17*F. If you think that could have happened just add some fuel treatment for de-gelling.

jimbojones

Reaction score
I did. But I don't think the local gad station switched to winter blend. I'm in knoxville so it's highly unlikely they did. I may have a stopped up fuel line

jimbojones

Reaction score
For the internet archives. It ended up being the fuel pump that went. 150k miles on the dot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.