Truck started smoking suddenly

fastersteve

Reaction score
Sitting at a red light this afternoon, and said to myself "Wow, somebody is smoking alot!"

Turns out it was me!! It's smoking enough to see at idle, pretty heavily at light throttle, and seems somewhat less under heavy throttle.

It still runs fine, power feels the same, but now it's 2 qts low on oil all of the sudden too.

No codes, CCT shows 3 & 8 which I attribute to the CPS.
Buzz test 2,6,7,8 sounded off-with 2 being the most different.
ICP at idle was normal~ 485ish, got up to 2800 powerbraking it before it started to spin the tires.

Smoke doesn't really smell heavily of diesel or oil, just a burned smell.

So, how the hell do I figure out if it's O-rings, turbo dumping oil, or injectors.
Help a brother out.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Pulled the fuel bowl cap off, filter is still white with about 1500 miles on it.

Can an injector have an internal leak? Seems like if it was an injector o ring oil would get back into the fuel bowl.

TARM

Reaction score
What kind of EGTs are you running and what boost pressures?

fastersteve

Reaction score
When I first installed the 38R, egt's were great! First tow to the race track was awesome, lots of power and easy cruising dragging my trailer at 8-10 psi and 700ish egt at a steady 70 -75 mph, it would barely make it to 1200*.
Left the truck idling while I loaded the trailer to come home. Pulling out of the track it smoked a bit and was down on power, barely maintaining 65 mph and running HOT, 1000* or more. Talk about a long, tedious tow home.
I haven't changed my boost gauge yet, so it will peg my 30 psi guage and get to 1250* pretty easily, which doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's been seeping oil out of the turbine housing since that afternoon leaving the track, because it's run hotter egt's and smokier since.
Sending it back next week, hopefully that will fix it.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Well, luckily I still have my stock turbo.
Apparently Garrett isn't big on customer service/warranty repairs, at least that's the feeling their rude CS phone person left me with.

Latest posts

Members online