Truck up and died for no reason why???

winchesterjjfb

Reaction score
So I have a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke with 69,000 miles on yes you read that right. We bought it about a month ago and I was two blocks from home the other night and it up and died when I went to take off from a stop light. I could not get it above 1500 RPM's the whole way home before it died. Got it towed home and changed the fuel filters, which were black, and put a charger on it and it did start however I still have really low RPM's even with my foot in it. So I changed the oil and put the wrong filter on it so now I have to get a new one again. Any thoughts as to what is causing this???? I am guessing and checking right now. I still need to check the EGR tonight to see if it's clogged. Everything is stock on the engine, expect we put a tuner on it about 2 weeks ago. I will take any suggestions.

winchesterjjfb

Reaction score
No I didn't think the tuner would do anything like this it is just on a light tow and has been on there a couple weeks without a problem. But I might have to try it. Thanks

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could be hi pressure pump. Was there any smoke.before it quitting, when it wasnt running up in rpm?

winchesterjjfb

Reaction score
there was no smoke and it was running low on RPM's we are pretty sure its the FICM the tuner threw up that code. Is there anything special we need to know about replacing the FICM? Can we do it ourselves or does Ford have to do it?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you replace the power supply with something like a bullet proof, there will be nothing. If you go aftermarket a whole ficm will probably be plug and lay. A ford full needs programming, even if you buy the pre programmed one. That is programmed good enough to get you to the dealer to get it programmed to the rest of the truck.

Latest posts

Members online