tuning and surge questions

tattoo

Reaction score
I've been searching for info on this but haven't really found an answer to what I'm looking for. I have a 2001 F350 completely stock, other than some unknown 40HP chip the previous owner put on the truck, I have exhaust ordered and trying to decide if I should get a PHP Hydra. Does surge occur only in the higher HP tunes or would I possibly experience it in lower HP tunes also?My main goal now is to maximize fuel economy, but I will probably be looking to make this truck a strong reliable tow rig to make some extra money hauling stuff and don't really want to spend the money on a wheel upgrade just to fix surge issues if I'm likely going to be upgrading the turbo in the next year.

tattoo

Reaction score
I'd also like any recommendations on any other performance upgrades and maintenance I should be doing, the truck has 97K miles

psduser1

Reaction score
6637 intake, I.e. tymar intake, run you about 250?ish from dale, or build your own for about 50$.

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
I'd also like any recommendations on any other performance upgrades and maintenance I should be doing, the truck has 97K miles
Cold air intake, 4" turbo back exhaust (which you've ordered), regulated return fuel system, custom tuning and gauges (Trans temp, turbo boost and EGT are the essential ones). That should improve your performance a good bit. The 38R is a good drop in replacement option for a turbo. Adding the WW2 is a good idea, from what I hear. I'm considering adding one to my 38R.

As far as fuel economy, your right foot will be the biggest factor, but I wouldn't look for any major gains. You're driving a 1 ton truck with probably 4:10 gearing.

A cooling system bypass filter is a good idea and relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
The 6637 with a pre filter from Riff Raff is what I did. My truck had a k@n on it when I bought it. The 6637 fits perfectly over the k@n pipe. When I got my custom tunes I had really bad surge. I ordered a ww2 from Dieselsite and a 360° thrust bearing kit from Barder turbo and rebuilt it it while it was out. No more surge and spools quicker.

tattoo

Reaction score
I may just go ahead and do the ww2 and custom tunes and not plan on a turbo upgrade until I start doing some hauling and see if I feel the need for more power.

lifted00

Reaction score
I had bad surge after I installed my dp tuner, I threw on the ats turbo housing and it cured it. Turbo is a little louder and I can feel a bit more power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
The ww2 has a nice whistle to it. Not to loud though. One other thing I got was a Boost Relief Valve from Dieselsite to regulate the boost to my map sensor to stop the check engine light and defueling.

DocBar

Reaction score
I had bad surge after I installed my dp tuner, I threw on the ats turbo housing and it cured it. Turbo is a little louder and I can feel a bit more power

ATS turbo? How long have you had it? Not trying to be a turd, but I had a horrible experience with their transmission and I steer very clear of anything ATS related. I hope you have a much better experience with them.

01pwrstkr, good call on the boost fooler. I always forget about those and I have one on my truck.:fustrate:

lifted00

Reaction score
ATS turbo? How long have you had it? Not trying to be a turd, but I had a horrible experience with their transmission and I steer very clear of anything ATS related. I hope you have a much better experience with them.

01pwrstkr, good call on the boost fooler. I always forget about those and I have one on my truck.:fustrate:

About a month, it's just a ported housing not the aurora turbo. That sucks you had bad luck, hopefully they took care of ya

DocBar

Reaction score
About a month, it's just a ported housing not the aurora turbo. That sucks you had bad luck, hopefully they took care of ya

They didn't. I just blew $5K. For the same money but a longer wait, BTS is the answer for a 4R100.

lifted00

Reaction score
They didn't. I just blew $5K. For the same money but a longer wait, BTS is the answer for a 4R100.

That sucks! They supposedly back their work which is why they charge so much for their products.

DocBar

Reaction score
That sucks! They supposedly back their work which is why they charge so much for their products.

They have one of the worst warranty guarantees I've ever seen and one of the worst reps once you dig past their flashy website.

Latest posts

Members online