turbo squeal that goes away when VGT unpluged

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Here is the sound.

th_6b8d026d.jpg

Also goes away when you throttle up. Looking at digging into the engine but want to be able to take it to a shop that I like in Nor-Cal to do the work. but this makes me worried about the 750 mile trip. I am stationed in Vegas now and don’t want to get stuck in the middle of Nevada because of the turbo letting go.

I plan on doing a PM turbo with 175/75 inj, HG's, Studs, EGR stuff, oil cooler.

I was reading and a guy said this
“I found my problem. The clamp that secures the EGT cooler to the exhaust pipe had come loose. “

I assume he meant EGR cooler.

Does this sound close to feasible?
Thanks, Dave

**oh and the truck runs great BTW. no issues just this damn squeal!!!!

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
exhaust leak between the turbo and heads. probably an up pipe, when the bellows crack they make real good whistling sounds.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
only at low boost? and the VGT makes that big of a deal?

i guess the boost disappears when unplugged huh?? hmmmm

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
blown bellows/cracked uppipe. my first set did that. my aftermarket set just starting making a noise about 42 times louder and I think it was because a manifold bolt sheared off and the ypipe became unclamped on one side. thought it might have been the turbo because the pitch kept changing and it was significantly louder than when i blew my uppipes but I'm thinking thats it.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16735

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
still driving me nuts!!! but on the 21st the truck is getting big things done to it so while the Cab is off, they said they have no issues swapping them out. it cant get here fast enough!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.