Turbo upgrade on stock sticks?

taterthedog

Reaction score
My buddy says he wants to upgrade his turbo. He's got intake, exhaust, tuner ( hypertech I think) and gauges. Truck is a 2000 7.3 zf6. I told him 38r might be a good upgrade, but don't know if it is worth it on stock injectors. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know it wouldn't be how I would spend my money.

ghohouston

Reaction score
He could do it yes, but would be pretty pointless without injectors. Not to say no gains would be had, but just really not worth it in my mind

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
for the cost of a turbo he could get a 1.00 exhaust housing, ww2, and a real chip and still have money left over!

taterthedog

Reaction score
I don't know what his plans are. I don't say his floormat has ever felt the underside of the fuel pedal as it is. I think he should get some good tuning first, then step on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
stock turbo with the ww2 and a good custom tune is bad ass! thats what i had my brother do!! well worth it....

38r would be fine and those who say not to are goofy. i love mine... my cousin has had one on his truck with stock injectors for a long time... says its the best towing upgrade he has done!

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
stock turbo with the ww2 and a good custom tune is bad ass! thats what i had my brother do!! well worth it....

38r would be fine and those who say not to are goofy. i love mine... my cousin has had one on his truck with stock injectors for a long time... says its the best towing upgrade he has done!

live life full throttle

38r should be the stock turbo! The gtp38 is ok until you've used an R. My 38r is.awesome ven with stock injectors.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Few more questions. Can he bolt up the 38r and run with no changes to tuning? And are all 38r's the same? Gtp38r gt38r etc...

Andrew

Reaction score
Only the GTP38R is the ball bearing upgrade turbo. I like mine need bigger now if he gets some good custom tunes it will help a lot.

CGMKCM

Reaction score
I second the WWII or R.R.version and a good set of tunes for your buddy's truck. Best bang for the $$ if the stock turbo is in good shape.

Latest posts

Members online