Twin Superduty Pump install

evo45

Reaction score
I installed a second superduty fuel pump on my dads 02 F350 and I added a fuel filter and a water seperator during the install. This truck is running on w85 and I wanted to put this stuff on before I put any in it. I figured having the second pump should relieve some strain off the single pump to keep pressure up. I bought most all the parts I needed from Jegs but realized I needed a couple more so I picked those up from a local supply house. Here is what I started out with.
IMAG0514.png

IMAG0515.png

This filter head is for the water seperator, it is from fleetfilter.com and uses a wix 33405 water seperator.
IMAG0516.png

This filter head is from Cim-tek and uses the same fuel filter as a Fass fuel pump. That is why I ended up using these two filter heads. I run a fass pump on my truck and didnt want to have 4 different types of filters to use.

I needed to make a couple brackets to mount the filter heads to. I was going to mount them to the frame but they would have been too low because of the e-brake cable so I had some scrap aluminum laying around and used that.

evo45

Reaction score
I didnt take any pics during the install but here are a couple pics of what it looks like on the truck.
IMAG0544.png

Here is the wix water seperator. I put a fuel shut-off to make it easier to change the filters out without worry of the tank syphoning out. I used all push lok fittings, all of them are Earls fittings but the 180 fitting. It is a Jegs piece.
IMAG0545.png

From that filter it goes to the pumps. This is a pic of the pump on the outside of the frame rail. The other one looks exactly the same on the other side. I used Earls 5/16 compression fittings on each end of the pump. I had to cut about a 1/4 inch off of the one end so the ferrel would bite. I hated to do it but there was no other way to make them fit without cutting up the pump.
IMAG0546.png

In this pic you can see the 2 chech valves that go to the fuel filter. From the fuel filter the fuel line goes through a hole that was already in the frame to the stock fuel line where the pump used to be. I have a piece of hose as a buffer around the fuel hose to keep it from rubbing. The filter is a Fass FF1003. It is a 3 micron filter and has been working great on my truck so I figured it would work good on here too.
IMAG0547.png

In the last pic you can see my mount better. It is bolted to the trans cross member. I thought about making a bracket that everything hung off of but I decided to go this way because I wanted the filters as high as I could get them.

What you cant see is my wiring. I ran two 8awg wires, one positive, one negative from the battery. The ground I looped to the two pumps and the positive I ran to two relays. I need to fuse each relay but I have a 20 amp fuse on the main line goin to the relays. I am no electrical engineer but it is working. I took the stock fuel pump wires and ran them to the relays to turn them on.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for reading.
Vic

evo45

Reaction score
In the installed pics you can see the mess all over the fittings. That is from my dad, I let him help install the fittings on the filter heads and out of the like 6 he did 3 leaked and I had to do them over. He also goobered them up with the pipe dope I was using. It was cool having him help but next time I think I'll have him supervise.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Looking good. I got my fittings from jegs also and cant complain at all. Ill have to post my pics in another thread of how i set mine up. How much was the Fass filter. Im trying to find better filter then my current ones.

evo45

Reaction score
I will use Jegs from now on, they have great customer service. I had an earls push lok fitting that I couldnt get to seal up right and they had no problem send me some extras to replace the whole line with.

The Fass filter are $25 a piece +shipping. They fit on a cim-tek filter head, part # 50032. I have a local gas station filter guy looking at a Cim-tek filter #70810. They are $12+shipping and are 2 micron but are only rated to 50 psi. I am trying to get a pair of them to test to see if they can handle the pressure of the Fass and the 2 SD pumps but the local guy cant seem to find them. If I buy them online I have to buy 6 of them. It will annoy the crap out of me if I buy 6 just to find out they wont work.

evo45

Reaction score
Filtration, yes. Filters themselves no. The filters are not interchangeable.

evo45

Reaction score
I also left all the stock fuel lines so if we ever want to put it back to stock to sell it we could. I forgot to add that I did the harpoon mod. The one where you get the mixing chamber out of it. When I had the tank down I forgot to cut off the pipes in the tank. I will do that next time I have it out. I am sure it will be out again soon because my dad wants a fuel transfer tank and I think I am going to use a bulkhead fitting on the top of the tank for the filler port from the transfer tank. I want the transfer tank to be movable from my dads truck to mine. I think I am going to use a pair of these http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/103012/10002/-1?parentProductId=1287080 for the connections so if I want to remove the tank just disconnect the line and the power to the pump.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
What was the part numbers for the fittings that hook up to the pumps ?

I could never find them and ended up just hose clamping them, and I dont like it.

Clean looking setup, thanks.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Nice set up evo45. I'll be needing a fuel system for my build soon not sure if I should DIY or get one already put together. The Y before it goes into the filter does that come from both SD fuel pumps? Do you have more pics.
Thanks

pstk5088

Reaction score

I could never find them and ended up just hose clamping them, and I dont like it.

Strictly Diesel sells the fittings for a stock pump going to a -6AN (JIC). They are like $15, and are an option on their post pump filter kit. I have them coming off the stock pump, and also attaching to the stock return line on the frame rail after it leaves the fuel bowl delete. Here is a link to the instructions which shows a picture of it.
http://shop.strictlydiesel.com/other/FuelSys/Driven-PPFKInstructions.pdf

evo45

Reaction score

The part I used from jegs is this, http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/165156/10002/-1?parentProductId=749418. If I was to do it over again I would use this part though, http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/644113/10002/-1?parentProductId=1329877. It makes it so you dont have to cut the fitting. The Earls fitting is too long so I had to cut 1/4 inch off of each one so that the ferrell in the compression fitting would bite. Without cutting the fitting only one side of the ferrell would crimp on the pump. With the second part I put up there will be no need to cut anything and it will just hook on. This part is new and was put on jegs like a week after I ordered all of my parts. The Russell part is $5 more per piece.

evo45

Reaction score
Nice set up evo45. I'll be needing a fuel system for my build soon not sure if I should DIY or get one already put together. The Y before it goes into the filter does that come from both SD fuel pumps? Do you have more pics.
Thanks

Each SD pump goes to a check valve then to the Y block. I could have used the same filter head as the water seperator but I wanted to keep the filters the same between the 2 trucks I have running on w85. What else do you want a pic of?

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Looks good!

For those shopping for hose/fittings, check out this DIY option for PTFE-lined SS braided hose with JIC ends:
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SAE_100R14_Reusable_Hose_Fittings_s/182.htm

here's another great resource for fittings:
http://www.hoseandfittings.com/

and for NPT bits and pieces as well as manifold blocks of various sizes and configurations there is always mcmaster:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#manifold-blocks/=e5vx8n

Oh, and FWIW the BEST thread sealant you can use for this application is Loctite 545 Thread Sealant. It is a high-temp, vibration resistant sealant that is flat-out superior to anything you can buy at the autoparts or hardware store: (no, it is not 'thread locker' :rolleyes:)
http://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS4423242...eumatic-Fittings/dp/B0000DD2Z1/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

evo45

Reaction score
I took a few more pics of my install. Some are kind of blury because I am using my cell phone to take the pics but you will get the idea form them.
IMAG0555.png

This is the line goin into the water seperator with a shut off. I used a full flow stainless steel locking ball valve. If I wanted to make sure the truck didnt go far while I was on vacation put a lock on the valve! Cant move without fuel!
IMAG0554.png

This is the 2 lines going to the pumps from the water seperator.
IMAG0559.png

This pic is looking at the back of the outside pump. You can see the fuel filter towards the front of the truck.
IMAG0548.png

Here you can see the inside pump. I have the wires going back to the pumps in wire loom with electrical tape every foot or so to keep the loom on. You can also see the fuel line coming from the water sep from over the frame rail. I need to add another piece of tubing over the fuel line so it doesnt rub on the rail.
IMAG0551.png

This is where the fuel line goes through the frame rail to the stock fuel line up to the engine. I used a fuel line jumper from a local auto parts store and cut it in half and put one of the Earls 5/16 compression fittings on it with a push lok hose fitting.

If there are any more pics you would like to see let me know.
Thanks
Vic

TARM

Reaction score
EVo45

Looks good.

You put some money into fitting etc. Nice work

The Cim-tek filter thats rated for 50 psi if that is for the final filtration post pump then I was steer clear. Even if you were to try it and it hold the ratings and material used may not give you the proper filtration. Last thing you would want is something coming loose or breaking off and going downstream right into your injectors.

The FASS is likely nominal for the 2 mics but IIRC they tend to use Donaldson now for their filters so if you get the threading size for that center shaft you can likely get the Donaldson for less online than the FASS. I think they are something like 1-1/2 - 16 UNF but you should check.

Call WIX and get the water sep specs for that filter as that is what really matters on the prepumps. Some really are terrible specs. Others are very good. If it ends up not being at least 90% try this Donaldson Part No. P551000 . It is 10mic and does emulsified water to 95% and free water to IIRC 98-99%

Not sure if you knew this already and just wanted external for a reason but the Bosch Super Duty fuel pumps already have check valves in that output fitting that is on there. Unless you removed it which it does not look like you did you are now running dual check valves there. I hardly wanted to tell you as I know how much those cost.

I was trying to think of different ways you could use them in other places. Such as putting one after the final filter to prevent any fuel draining back down as you change filters. Something along those lines but you can just keep them as they are.

If you ever wanted to change it up you could lose the compression fittings to the pump and instead remove those pump outlet fittings on each pump. Replace them with 10mm-1.0" male flare to -6an fittings. That would eliminate the compression fitting point and make it all threaded -an. I ended up doing that with my Bosch 044 pump as I wanted the thread fittings and did not want to grind down the stock fitting and install a compression. It was going to be too tall as well.

Just some ideas anyways.

Looks good.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Good point on the pressures Tarm. Most 'fuel' filters are rated for 50psi and water-separating filters are often designed to work on vacuum-side of the pump...

All WIX spin-on fuel filters are rated for 75psi and I know the Donaldson we use for Vegistroke conversion is also rated for 75psi. There aren't that many diesel applications that need a high-pressure filter like we do, so its always worth checking! I've found that some filters may 'cross-over' to a different brand, but the other brand is rated for a lower pressure or even different micron rating! :jawdrop:

evo45

Reaction score
Tram,
I did read that about the fuel pumps, after I had already ordered the check valves. Since I alread had them I just decided to put them on. I do like the idea of removing them and putting one after the last filter to avoid the fuel bowl draining out. I could also put one on my truck for the same reason with the fass.

The filter that is on the truck in the pic, FF1003 is a Fass filter that is made by Cim-Tek. I spoke to one of the Fass sales guys and he told me they have a contract with them to make the filter. The filter that is produced for Fass is the same as a 70213, it is a hydraulic filter that is good for 250 psi. I called Cim-tek today and spoke to one of their engineers and I asked if 70810 which is a petroleum filter would be able to handle more than 50 psi. He said that it would have no problem with 50 psi and would most likely be ok up to 125-150psi. The difference between the 2 filters is the 70213 uses a hard viton gasket and the 70810 uses a softer buna-n gasket. Their filter media is a little different and the 70810 has a 2 micron rating with 97.3% efficency. The engineer said that the 50 psi rating they give them is because it is used in gas station pumps and they are only rated for 40 something psi. I ordered the 70810 this afternoon for $13 a piece shipped, the Fass filter is $25 a piece plus shipping. I will post back how they work in the next couple months when I run out of the other filters.