Twin turbos for dd?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Okay so I'm thinking about stepping up to some more power.. So I'm thinking 250/200s injectors... So instead of going going too a big laggy turbo I'm thinking on adding another turbo... Keep my s366 for the small turbo... Now I need and idea on what would be a good turbo setup and would it be a good dd with the occasional towing? I would imagine its not a cheap route to go but it would be a cool idea

Dieselboy.

Reaction score

Too small, if by s480 it has the 80mm wheel.

Like I said Charles ran his gt47 with an 88mm wheel fed by a 38r 64mm wheel with 250/200s and made 591 rwhp and could tow all day long. I believe he even put in 400/400s and made 650ish on conservative tuning before jumping up to the gt55.

An s480 "can" be run as a single. Providing...

Reaction score
Here are some variations of the s480

s480 specs...

T-6 flange.
1.32 A/R 96mm turbine wheel. .90, 1.00, 1.10, 1.25 A/R with 83mm turbine wheel. 1.10 with 87mm turbine wheel

smokedout250

Reaction score
So what is gonna make the best seat setup? I could just run a big single but I'm afraid towing would be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDub

Reaction score
Let us know if we can help, we've built quite a few daily driven staged turbo trucks, enough air to support 700hp on fuel but still drive great at 450hp...

main.php

davey99ps

Reaction score
Let us know if we can help, we've built quite a few daily driven staged turbo trucks, enough air to support 700hp on fuel but still drive great at 450hp...

main.php

Can you pm me some info Jacob, I'm looking for somewhat of a universal piping an mount that i can work with to build my own set-up. I'm also not sure what charger to add to my h2e.

smokedout250

Reaction score

main.php

Is it a practical setup for daily driving? What is the down side to running a set of twins?

JDub

Reaction score
I see no need for that kind horsepower in a daily driver, as 450hp seem to be plenty for most daily needs, but should you desire our Staged System works very well on the street. It's also the same setup that Mike O runs in his drag truck...

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Jacob, you got a link to a build thread on that truck or more pictures ? I'm thinking of tucking my gt55 in that same spot on the fummins just not sure what kinda air filter to cram in their and where to put it so it gets plenty of fresh air..

JDub

Reaction score
There are more pictures on our website. And that system has a AFE Stage II standard air filter on the end of it.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Okay so I'm thinking about stepping up to some more power.. So I'm thinking 250/200s injectors... So instead of going going too a big laggy turbo I'm thinking on adding another turbo... Keep my s366 for the small turbo... Now I need and idea on what would be a good turbo setup and would it be a good dd with the occasional towing? I would imagine its not a cheap route to go but it would be a cool idea

For a strictly daily driving i wouldnt mess with twins again. Yeah they are fun as hell, but the truck was a complete whore to work on. I'd suggest spending some money on a good single. I think you could get a billet s471 and still tow some, or several are running the gtx4294 and having great results. Whats your hp goal? Your charger should be enough for nearly 550 and if you step up to a 471 it could go north of 600 with 250/200's.

smokedout250

Reaction score
No real goal upwards of 500 would be great! Jake and I were talking about seeing what I could run the s366 to. There's alot more options for the turbo I have that I may explore... I would like to see 600 one day but I don't think the bottom will hold with out tearing into it

Charles

Reaction score
You can have drop in replacement spoolup and driveability with unlimited top end performance all in one.

What about that DOESN'T scream daily driver? Compounds are obviously the most capable system. Hence the fact that many diesel engines come this way from the factory now.

Fwiw, I've been driving around with this 94mm first stage for some time now, and I've got to say, the spool is a total non-issue. I'm still of the notion that you CANNOT oversize the first stage on a 7.3L engine. Garrett only makes one turbo frame larger than the GT55 that I'm daily driving with response that would probably SHOCK most people. At part throttle I routinely spin at least a little bit on the 1-2 and lockup... This is with no smoke, no real sound from the truck and very low rpm shift points.

When my electronics were super Fubared I still towed my trail truck (F-350 on 50" backhoe tires) 5 hours through the mountains of TN, over MontEagle and all with 700psi of ICP to work with... Try that with even a modestly sized single.

Servicability of certain engine components is a chore compared to a truck running a single turbo in the valley. But on a DD.... you shouldn't be pulling the valvecovers anyway. Seriously. Passenger's side valvecover is the only thing that takes me more time. Honestly, it's ~30 minutes to get that valvecover off, and ~45 to have it back on vs say 5 minutes each way with a single in the valley. For a dd.... this should not sway your decision IMO. Now if you hang the charger all F'ed up.... then yes, it could make things miserable. Conversely, if you hang it really well, you can have it off and on in a third the time I can.

The next set of compounds I do, both chargers will be next to the engine and the set will have a lift eye made onto them for a hoist to lift the entire charger setup out of the way with V-band releases everywhere.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Charles, were you running Tial 44mm gates on each stage ? Or did you go bigger with the GT55 ?

Guys running twins, anything special LPOP wise to supply the extra oil to the atmo charger ?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
You can have drop in replacement spoolup and driveability with unlimited top end performance all in one.

What about that DOESN'T scream daily driver? Compounds are obviously the most capable system. Hence the fact that many diesel engines come this way from the factory now.

Fwiw, I've been driving around with this 94mm first stage for some time now, and I've got to say, the spool is a total non-issue. I'm still of the notion that you CANNOT oversize the first stage on a 7.3L engine. Garrett only makes one turbo frame larger than the GT55 that I'm daily driving with response that would probably SHOCK most people. At part throttle I routinely spin at least a little bit on the 1-2 and lockup... This is with no smoke, no real sound from the truck and very low rpm shift points.

When my electronics were super Fubared I still towed my trail truck (F-350 on 50" backhoe tires) 5 hours through the mountains of TN, over MontEagle and all with 700psi of ICP to work with... Try that with even a modestly sized single.

Servicability of certain engine components is a chore compared to a truck running a single turbo in the valley. But on a DD.... you shouldn't be pulling the valvecovers anyway. Seriously. Passenger's side valvecover is the only thing that takes me more time. Honestly, it's ~30 minutes to get that valvecover off, and ~45 to have it back on vs say 5 minutes each way with a single in the valley. For a dd.... this should not sway your decision IMO. Now if you hang the charger all F'ed up.... then yes, it could make things miserable. Conversely, if you hang it really well, you can have it off and on in a third the time I can.

The next set of compounds I do, both chargers will be next to the engine and the set will have a lift eye made onto them for a hoist to lift the entire charger setup out of the way with V-band releases everywhere.

I have thought about this. Do you see any issues with spool up due to having to run longer piping for the up pipes? That is the only issue that I am worried about with a setup like that.

Latest posts

Members online