U0407 or V0407 - Transmission

BK39

Reaction score
Tranny slips 2nd to 3rd gear. Revs then slams. It did it the other day, then the tow/haul light started flashing and it wouldn't shift higher than 3rd gear. Scanned it, and got U0407 or it's V0407. Anyone know what this code is?

I'm trying to figure out if the entire tranny is shot, or if it's something minor.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It has to be U, there are no V codes. U codes don't relate to the transmission, it would be a P code.

U0407 FORD - Invalid Data Received From GPCM (GPCM = Glow Plug Control Module) This has nothing to do with the transmission.

BK39

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. The only P codes are P0403 & P1000.

I read on line that p0403 was EGR related. (makes sense becuase I recently had EGR delete done).

Maybe the trans isn't throwing any codes then....or my scanner just isn't picking them up.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
is there a delay in reverse or a slipping when backing up? It could be a bad solenoid, bad clutches etc. I had a issue similar that started with it slamming violently between 3-5th and then it would not go past 3rd. I changed the fluid and found metal in the pan. Installed a new solenoid and filter and it worked perfect for like 2 weeks. After that it started to do it again. I was likely at the point of rebuilding it but I got offered a lot of money to trade it so..

BK39

Reaction score
Yes, it takes a sec in reverse to engage. slips for a second, then grabs. I thought about changing the fluid and filter to see if it helps, but figure it's a waste of $$$ if the tranny is shot.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
A code was stored when the tow/haul light flashed. You scan tool probably can't read it. It would really help to know what code is set.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Mark is right. It may not be the end of the tranny. I didn't scan mine I just dropped the pan and when I saw the fluid which looked like it was a candy red paint with small metal flakes I knew it was toast.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Like Mark said, you probably aren't capable of reading trans codes with whatever you're using.

What are you using btw? My buddy had a bullydog he used to read codes with all the time and it would always give some stupid U code, but as soon as I read it with my SCT, it came up as a P code.

BK39

Reaction score
Are they trying to screw me? Here's what happened: I took it to a local shop for diagnosis.
They keep the truck 2 hours, he calls me back, "there are small amounts of shavings in the pan, the clutches are for sure bad. It needs new clutches."
Me, "ok, well how much money are we talking".
He goes, "It's $425.00 to take it out, tear it down, then we go from there. Warranty is 12 month 12,000 miles for partial rebuild. 3 year 36,000 mile warranty for full rebuild front to back".
Me, "ok, but how much ball park figure are we talking, 1k, 2k, 3k..."
He goes, "I don't know, we have to tear it apart first, then I can tell you".
Me, "I can get a rebuilt trans from ford for $2600.00. It has 3 year warranty with unlimited miles. Will this trans be under $2600.00 to fix?".
He goes, "I can't give you a price without tearing it down first".

Is this normal for a trans shop not to be able to give me a ball park figure. All I'm looking for is "it's 425.00 for tear down, XXX.xx for clutches, and xxx.xx to re-install. It could be as cheap as 800.00, or could be as bad as 2200.00". Am I crazy to think that? I don't want this dude to tear my trans apart, then give me some crazy price to fix it. Then I'm stuck with a box of parts and towing the truck home.

BK39

Reaction score
He did pull the code, he said it had to do with the clutches slipping. So he said clutches for sure, but maybe something more. With only 96,000 on the trans, he thinks there is something else making the clutches go bad. That's what scares me, how much is this "something else"?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
my advice is if you are pulling the tranny and working on it your self and have the know how repair what needs to be done. if you are paying to have the work done bite the bullet and go rebuilt. if you plan to stay stock turbo and injectors with either stock or a/m tuning i say get a ford reman since you are not going to find a better warranty at their price. if you plan to modd the truck i would look at a suncoast, nadp or bts tranny. if you have someone build the tranny i would strongly suggest they have a very good track record with the torqshift specifically. with the guy your talking about, he is shooting you straight becase he could have to replace hard parts that can add up quickly. if the clutches and steels are all that is torn up then it would more or less be a rebuild. remember though the solenoids that run the tranny ( there is no valvebody like older trannies) do not like trash and if you have metal in the fluid you will want to replace the solenoids for insurance. it will easily become cheaper to get a ford reman or a rebuilt unit in my opinion and likely it will be a faster better turnaround

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
my advice is if you are pulling the tranny and working on it your self and have the know how repair what needs to be done. if you are paying to have the work done bite the bullet and go rebuilt. if you plan to stay stock turbo and injectors with either stock or a/m tuning i say get a ford reman since you are not going to find a better warranty at their price. if you plan to modd the truck i would look at a suncoast, nadp or bts tranny. if you have someone build the tranny i would strongly suggest they have a very good track record with the torqshift specifically. with the guy your talking about, he is shooting you straight becase he could have to replace hard parts that can add up quickly. if the clutches and steels are all that is torn up then it would more or less be a rebuild. remember though the solenoids that run the tranny ( there is no valvebody like older trannies) do not like trash and if you have metal in the fluid you will want to replace the solenoids for insurance. it will easily become cheaper to get a ford reman or a rebuilt unit in my opinion and likely it will be a faster better turnaround
:whs: If it were me and I had these problems, I think I would go with a Ford reman, a Suncoast torque converter, and I'd put the GoGo diesel direct clutch solenoid in it. That's just me because I don't think I'll ever go bigger than a Powermax and 175cc's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.