Unusual coolant leak issue

Mdub707

Reaction score
Truck in sig, EGR delete (cooler and valve gone), diesel site coolant filter, and vegistroke (taps into the coolant lines on each side of the motor). I recently replaced the batteries in the truck ~ 1 1/2 weeks ago. The truck has been sitting for a week plugged in. I got home this weekend and swapped the FICM out on it (the one on it was bad), and usually when I do this, I undo the coolant bottle and just move it out of the way, so some of the soft coolant lines going into the bottle get bent, but they seem fine. I put the new FICM in, fired up truck and it idled in the driveway for about 10 minutes, all was good, no leaks. I drive 10 minutes into town and park. Some guy flags me down as I'm walking in the store to tell me my truck is leaking something. I think nothing of it as it's usually leaking some small amount of something... whatever. I come back to find a miniature fountain coming out the bottom of the truck. I open the hood and can't really see anything. I just drive it straight back home, and start looking more. I can not seem to pinpoint exactly where this leak is coming from.

It is definitely on the drivers side. From under the truck, the power steering pump is soaked and has coolant dripping off of it (definitely coolant, it's gold, and feels/smells just like it). from the top, I remove the battery on drivers side, the battery tray, the intake, the CAC tube, drain some coolant out, pull the large radiator hose going to the waterpump housing, pull the small line coming from the coolant reservoir to the waterpump housing and still don't see anything. At this point there is so much stuff covered in coolant I can not pinpoint it exactly.

There is a small tube that bolts to the waterpump housing that connects the housing to the 3/4" soft hose going to the coolant reservoir bottle. At first glance, I thought this tube was cracked, which makes perfect sense since I swap FICM's on a weekly basis, and I always just unbolt the coolant bottle and shove it out of the way, so that hose is constantly being flexed everywhich way. So I proceed to pull that little tube out, one 8mm bolt holding it in. Bolt comes out easy, tube does not (indicating to me that this probably isn't the leak point), get it out, inspect the o-ring on it, which appears good, and it doesn't look cracked, like I had thought. In fact it looks fine...

I'm still torn down to this point and not sure what else to look at... this leak sprung out of no where on me, and it seems worse with more RPM/more driving. Just idle in the driveway will drip, I kick it into high idle and the leak picks up a bit. Truck has 90k miles.

Any other places you guys can think of? Definitely drivers side and definitely in that area.

FWIW, the clamp that held the large radiator hose on the waterpump housing broke in two when I tried prying it apart, but the bottom side of that hose appeared dry, as if it was sealed good, so I'm not sure.

The plan as of now is to get a new o-ring for that tube where it inserts into the waterpump housing as well as a new clamp for the radiator hose. Might just go to a hose clamp instead of the spring clamp that was on there, but not sure yet. I'd really hate to put it back together like this and have it still leak. Very tough to pinpoint where it's coming from.

Any suggestions welcomed...

Thanks

alwil

Reaction score
Its strange that you moved the degas bottle and it started leaking from the front.....is it possible that its migrating from the y under the degas bottle to the front of the motor?

Wright337

Reaction score
The y under the degas bottle has leaked on mine before and i had to replace it. Also the spring clamp has let the coolant come out from the hose also. When mine was leaking I could only see it with a flashlight and looking on the block and head towards the fuel line. I put a good clamp on and was good to go.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Definitely not coming from the coolant bottle or the Y under it. Everything is bone dry there, I've gone over those pretty well. It's coming down by that water pump housing, I just can not pinpoint where. I'm going to have to fill it up with some water tomorrow and try to run it and pinpoint it. It was a pretty serious leak. Left quite a puddle under the truck while it was running. Definitely coolant though, cause I took the cap off the reservoir to relieve pressure and the leak slowed way down almost stopped.

It is very unusual that it happened right after the FICM swap, you're right, but I checked everything that could have been damaged from that swap...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok, so I tore down to the water pump housing. I removed the large radiator hose that runs to the waterpump and also removed the smaller hose the comes from the coolant bottle. I removed the pipe that bolts into the housing that the small hose clamps to, if that makes sense, and I cleaned it up really well, removed the o-ring and cleaned that up as well. Placed it back on, still looked like it had life to it (not flattened out), lubed it up and put it back. I ended up busting the spring clamp on the big hose just by removing it, it clearly was on it's last leg, but it still seemed to be holding pressure... not sure. I replaced it with an actual hose clamp. Reinstalled everything, added some fresh distilled water, fired it up and drove it around and it's gone... no more leak. I'm not even sure what actually fixed it, but I'm guessing the spring clamp on the big hose was just weak!?

Atsah

Reaction score
Probably.. Those spring clamps suck.. I put all hose clamps on a long time ago..

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's good to know. I'm doing a cab-off in the next few weeks, guess I'll look into just replacing all of them.

I felt under that big hose several times and it was dry though, I don't get it. This was no small leak either. Oh well, seems to be holding now, put about 125 miles on it since then and no issues...

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Let me throw this out there from when I used to race dirtbikes.... It's a win, no matter how, it's still a win. You fixed it, don't waste too much time worrying about how. If you've got a cab off coming up, maybe you'll find it then.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I used to race Four wheelers myself. I rode Honda's though so I didn't have to worry about fixing it much :flipa:

:toast:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I raced Suzuki's... so we didn't have to fix much either, but we sure did spend a lot of time passing Honda's and hanging out in the winners box.:rockon:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.