Updated Transmission Relearn Procedure

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
This process should be performed if you have a stock TCM and have loaded the 210 TP, 250, 275, 300, 310, or 350 tunes. I have made this relearn as painless as possible since several people feel that the old relearn is too stressful on the truck. It's not something that you have to do, but it is something that I highly recommend if you want the ultimate consistency out of your 5R110W.

1. From a stop, accelerate to 50-55 MPH at 10-15% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
2. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 20-25% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
3. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 40-50% throttle. DO THIS THREE TIMES.
4. From a stop, accelerate to 60 MPH at 60-75% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. ALTHOUGH I RECOMMEND THIS STEP, IT IS OPTIONAL.
5. From a stop, accelerate to 60-70 MPH at 85-100% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP IN THE PROCEDURE.

If you aren't sure about throttle position, you can monitor throttle position percentage with the DashDAQ.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If you have a Spartan TCM, the following procedure should be followed.

1. From a stop, accelerate to 50-55 MPH at 10-15% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
2. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 20-25% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
3. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 40-50% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES.
4. From a stop, accelerate to 60-70 MPH at 60-75% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES.
5. From a stop, accelerate to 60-70 MPH at 85-100% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES.

If you aren't sure about throttle position, you can monitor throttle position percentage with the DashDAQ.

Pmac21

Reaction score
If you do the trans learn and then go back to regular daily driving how long does it take for the trans to learn the easy driving again?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It doesn't. The trans doesn't learn hard driving or easy driving. It learns how long each shift takes from when the TCM commands the shift until the ratio change is complete. It then adjusts the pressure for the next shift at that throttle and vehicle speed so next time it does that shift it should be closer to the ideal shift time programmed into the TCM.

irishtko77

Reaction score
I have an f550 that was modified and tuned (ecm, and tcm) now the truck will start very sluggish with no throttle and won’t start to run right until about 5-10 mins after driving. Does the trans have to relearn? Is there something I can do to get this thing to drive right as soon as I get in it? It’s a work truck so I need it asap. Thanks

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
That does not sound like a transmission issue. Something else is going on.

Latest posts

Members online