VIN mismatch

6speedsd

Reaction score
Buddy of mine just bought an 05. Brought it by the house yesterday to show me, and wanted me to hook up AE and check things out. Nothing much came up, other than a code for "VIN mismatch". I don't remember what the exact number was on it, but that was what it was for. What's the deal with that? Has me concerned that someone has tampered with the mileage on it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah the FICM from another truck will throw a soft code. It means nothing. If it bothers him that much the dealer can flash it for his truck. Not a big deal, wont throw a light at all and you'll ONLY pick that code up on higher end readers like AE and above. SCT's and handhelds wont have it.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok cool. So no need to even worry about it. I was just worried something had been tampered with....mainly that the cluster had been swapped and mileage was incorrect or something.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Nope, likely the previous owner had a FICM die and they just bought a used one to put on there. I fix FICM's periodically and when guys need one right away I just do a swap with them and send them one I have sitting on the shelf. They all end up getting that code. Not a big deal at all.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Good deal. Thanks for the info!

Had another code... again I can't remember the exact number... but was something about a "key in circuit fault". What is that about?

Zmann

Reaction score
that key code can come up with a remote starter in my experience basically power was present somewhere it shouldn't be without the key on "i think"
mine has a vin mismatch and it didn't appear to be the ficm
it was some other module iirc

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
If I recall the FICM code is U or P 0306. Been awhile since I've seen it.

I can pull the code on mine and check, I know for a fact I have the FICM mismatch code.

that key code can come up with a remote starter in my experience basically power was present somewhere it shouldn't be without the key on "i think"
mine has a vin mismatch and it didn't appear to be the ficm
it was some other module iirc

That's a good point, he never really said it was a FICM one. I know on mine when I scan with AE it actually says FICM mismatch yada yada, it definitely calls out FICM specifically.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I scanned his with AE and it never said anything ficm related, so maybe it is in fact because of the remote start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
IIRC if you go the individual modules ( ABS /Transmission/ETC )it will list them and that's where the vin mismatch will be identified to the unit that has the mismatch

if you care as i don't think it's a problem ?

Latest posts

Members online