Warming up help for fire response!

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm on a fire department and lately have been responding in my moms jeep. This is a general knowledge question I pretty much already know the answer but I'd like opinions. Do you think remote starting my truck and letting it run for about 2 minutes while dressing and what not is long enough for the truck to warm up before driving? It's about 40 degrees out and I figured maybe 2 minutes was long enough and wouldn't hurt anything for a 5 minute drive. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kdavid1

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt. 6.0 likes it heat. At 40 out it shouldn't need to sit too long to get some heat. Make sure you have a good tstat too. The ford or one's don't last too long and you can't get to temp when they get weak.

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt. 6.0 likes it heat. At 40 out it shouldn't need to sit too long to get some heat. Make sure you have a good tstat too. The ford or one's don't last too long and you can't get to temp when they get weak.

Yeah just got new thermo. Idk. Il be at home for a few more years so I might as well not worry about it right now haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redpower

Reaction score
I've never had to cold start my 6.0 for a fire call, but I did with my 95 7.3 quite a bit. Basically if it's above freezing I don't worry about it and drive the 5 miles to the station. (Sometimes running pretty hard) If it's below freezing, I either take the wife's car or have the truck plugged in on a timer that cycles on during the night 2 times for an hour

ghohouston

Reaction score
I let my company truck high idle for 15-20 minutes every morning. Nice and warm when I get in and head to work. If you have upfitter switches, it's very easy to wire one in to do the high idle mod.

swinky

Reaction score
Trans temp will probably be around 60 after idling for 2 minutes. You can drive it but I wouldn't be hard on it.

Latest posts

Members online