Wastegate problems

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Alright, its been almost a year since I installed my wastegate (hypergate45)

Since I cannot make over 44lbs of boost. Before in the same tune the truck would hit 47#, and 53# in the drag file. Now no matter what it will not go over 44#

I've pulled the whole Turbocharger system apart checking boots, replaced the intercooler. RTV'd the compressor housing V-band to the IC pipe. Pulled off the wastegate to check the springs. (has the heaviest 26#).
I'm running FULL unregulated boost to the top of the gate just to see if I could hit similar numbers as before. And 44# is the max.

I made a boost leak detector and plugged the Cold side IC pipe to test it. Held 25# fine. All my fittings and sensors in the Y pipe I re sealed. Checked the boots.
The only thing left is my intake manifolds. However, no RTV appears to be "blown out" And I don't see how it could fail while the truck sat waiting for the new uppipes.

I realize Boost isn't power. But I'm more or less curious as to why I cannot get the truck to go over 45#

FWIW last year it ran a best of [email protected]

This year its best has been [email protected] with a slower 60'

So she is still putting out. I am just at the point of tossing the wastegate and blocking off the pipes.

Turbo is an S475 with the 83/74 exhaust wheel and a 1.10 AR.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Does the diaphragm have a hole in it? I've seen that cause issues before. One way to know what your gate is doing is to log boost and drive pressure. Not sure if you have that ability or not.

Anything changed on the setup since your pass last year?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I pulled the gate out under 1000km ago. And it seemed fine. It's been this way since new tho :s

Last year I fragged the TC so nadp built me a better one and went through the trans.
Added the wastegate.
And pulled 1 leaf from the rear and the leveling kit out.
Trans operates 125-140*. And in 85* weather and 12 passes in a night didn't go over 160*. I've had a few speculate the trans giving out. Unfortunately with the pcs I have no codes to check for

To me. It seems the wastegate is the issue. As it is a direct link to boost lol. Literally. Buuuut with full boost to the top I don't see how it could open ?

On edit: jakes kit is a shared wastegate. And a few guys have expressed concerns about that and how it hurts performance. Hopefully they chime in

Blowby

Reaction score
A few people have asked...Any drive pressure numbers? If your drive pressure is around 70 psi or higher then that would explain the boost limit.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Steve. Care to elaborate more on a tight converter ?

Backpressure gauge hooked up minutes ago. T'd off of the factory sensor. Boost I can log with my gauge. Or datalog with my pcs.

My only question tho. With full boost going to the top theoretically shouldn't it be able to make max boost ?

Blowby

Reaction score
Not if drive pressure is greater than boost + spring pressure.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Well, back to other issues again. 2.6ms of PW and she wont make over 35# of boost.

Starting to wonder if my boost gauge is going tits up. Either that or its not fueling like it should. 400% nozzles should easily make the boost gauge climb

But Ill load my old tunes up as I know what she puts out in them.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Just did a few wot runs. Boost 43-45#. BP was just under 70. So by all means could be cracking the gate enough to bleed off.

Plus there could be a descrepancy with My BP gauge as the sensor is old and it sticks a bit.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering. It wasn't the gate. Turned out to be a boost leak on the plenum.
I swapped to a metal end IC and I guess the tiny amount of residue finally made its Way through and fanned out right under the Y pipe. Re did both plenums and now I see 51# of boost to 64# of back pressure.

Latest posts

Members online