Water Injection

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ran a high pressure water system (1,000+ psi) and if you would mind sharing what pump and nozzles you used. Im not talking about a system like coolingmist or snow, just something for an all out pulling truck. Hypermax has a kit but with a $3,500 price tag, Im sure something cheaper can be home brewed and work just as well. I found this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329762_200329762 just not sure if that will be enough flow. Also the super stock tractor guys are running and belt driven pump that I know will flow more, just not sure how to go about mounting one on the engine.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Talk to dave at swamps. Back when scotty's truck used to run, it ran one of the high pressure systems, basically it was a pressure washer strapped in the bed

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
My tractor buddy just uses a electric hydraulic pump and hypermax nozzles. Thats what i was gonna run but rules dont allow now.

Thats probably what Ill end up doing. Ive found some nozzles that would work just not sure how to mount them. Ive also heard of tractor guys using nitrous nozzles, which could be another possibility.

golfer

Reaction score
Talk to dave at swamps. Back when scotty's truck used to run, it ran one of the high pressure systems, basically it was a pressure washer strapped in the bed

LOL...

not quite..

we started with a hydraulic power unit (basically looks like a starter bolted to an SAE style hydraulic pump)

Hyd Power Unit

added a 20 gallon (ice) water tank...a sump pump to push the ice water through the ATW cooler... extra battery (and relay) in the bed, wiring, plumbing etc...and of course some nozzles...

the first time we kicked on the pump...chilling the ATW cooler...the damn thing frosted up & condensation formed so quickly..I thought we had a leak...

but the thing has worked phenomenally...

prior to the ATW cooler...we had Scotty's (HEUI) engine leaving the line @ 1400deg (during spoolup)...after the ATW cooler...we we're finishing the quarter at 1600deg...

we probably have $12-1400 in parts (not incl the ATW cooler itself)...and it can run up to 1500psi...and we simply add some water soluble oil to the water to prevent pump wear...but no methanol.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Dave, you're talking about a air/water cooler in the second half of your post, but mentioned the water injection pump in the first half. Could you use something like the CM setup you have to CONTROL the pump you posted the link to, with failsafe and all?

golfer

Reaction score
Dave, you're talking about a air/water cooler in the second half of your post, but mentioned the water injection pump in the first half. Could you use something like the CM setup you have to CONTROL the pump you posted the link to, with failsafe and all?

fug me...

water is water, right? :rolleyes:

I'm a retard...

had ATW on the brain with the engine dyno running :D

multitasking fail

golfer

Reaction score
Now you started babbling, you need to divulge more infermashun

not worthy of a new thread (yet)...but we have Scotty's old original engine on the dyno as a test mule (yes it still runs, LOL)...(threw in a little set of 200/30% injs) and an S300

we literally have maybe 3 pulls on it..but it's pretty cool.

(Sam)/Genie's engine will go on next (dropped a valve on the big built engine :( but have it all back together now), but it will be on the dyno while Johnny is remaking the hardlines for the CR engine...

then things will get fun.

DocBar

Reaction score
LOL...

not quite..

we started with a hydraulic power unit (basically looks like a starter bolted to an SAE style hydraulic pump)

Hyd Power Unit

added a 20 gallon (ice) water tank...a sump pump to push the ice water through the ATW cooler... extra battery (and relay) in the bed, wiring, plumbing etc...and of course some nozzles...

the first time we kicked on the pump...chilling the ATW cooler...the damn thing frosted up & condensation formed so quickly..I thought we had a leak...

but the thing has worked phenomenally...

prior to the ATW cooler...we had Scotty's (HEUI) engine leaving the line @ 1400deg (during spoolup)...after the ATW cooler...we we're finishing the quarter at 1600deg...

we probably have $12-1400 in parts (not incl the ATW cooler itself)...and it can run up to 1500psi...and we simply add some water soluble oil to the water to prevent pump wear...but no methanol.
Where are you getting the 230/460VAC for the HPU in the link? I didn't see an inverter listed in your parts....:poke: :D

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
As of now Im actually thinking about going full mechanical with a belt driven vickers vane pump and a simpson valve. That seems to be the setup most tractor guys have been running for years without much fuss.

Last edited:

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
What about using an Ati dampner with a cog gear on it. Mount a pressure washer pump off the side of the motor somewhere and run it off the cog gear?

That is the way I will run the vane pump. Im sure a pressure washer pump will work just fine but I know for a fact the vickers vane pumps will work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.