Water Pump

713Diesel

Reaction score
My Uncle has an 04 F 250 6.0 that needs a new water pump. Based on what the mechanic is telling him his 04 has an 03 motor in it based on the VIN. They ordered a water pump for the 03 motor but it is not even remotely close to looking the same. He bought the truck new so there isn't any funny business with motor swaps or anything.

I am thinking he might have gotten some bad info from the mechanic. I told him I would look into it for him but I don't know anything about 6.0's, I have only had 7.3's and 6.4's.

You guys got any advice or know who I can call to get the right pump?

Zmann

Reaction score
there shouldn't be a huge difference? looks like just impeller size
read this from BPD http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Bu...er_Pump_for_6_0L_Diesel_p/water_pump_asmb.htm

If you have a 4EA or 4EB VIN code (read below) then you might want to measure your impeller size before ordering to ensure the proper size and fitment. Please call if you have any questions so that we can help you with getting the right Bullet Proof Diesel water pump.

Need help with your production date? If you have a 2003 you are in the 2003-2004.25 production date. If you have a 2005 or newer, you have a 2004.25 and newer production date. If you have a 2004 model you need to check your VIN code to determine your production date.

A sample VIN code is: 1FTRW21P24EB10150. In the middle of the VIN code, you see the digits "4EB". The 4 means that it was a 2004 model year. The "E" denotes which production plant built your truck. In this case, E is for Kentucky. Lastly, the "B" is the start of the sequence number (the last 6 digits of the VIN). Some early 2004 models have a "4EA" code. The "A" denotes the early build and most likely is a 2003-2004.25 production date. A "B", "C", "D" or more all denote later model 2004 builds with 2004.25 and newer production dates.

Zmann

Reaction score
oh and I would highly suggest the BPD pump if you can wait for it to ship ,, much better than the plastic impellers not to mention what they discovered with all the aftermarket castings ,, they were forced to go billet to ensure quality control

713Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any funny deals on these. The guy said that he ordered it per the VIN # which worries me but who knows. He bought it in late 03 as an 04 model so I am thinking that it is the 03-04.25 style but I am double checking his VIN and measuring the impeller size as I hear there is a 90mm and a 100mm.

Zmann

Reaction score
because the Bullet proof units are DIY rebuildable if they ever loose a seal or bearing
they aren't made using the cheapest bearings and seals the re builder can find

and When BPD went to just upgrade the stock castings they found such a variance in quality they decided to make their own case instead of installing a better impeller on questionable castings
oh and they look cool but other than that no reason LOL

Zmann

Reaction score
Oh and this
This month we have have 4 water pumps to come back in our shop all where on 6.0 's powerstrokes. 2 which had major damage ,the bearing in the waterpump was backing out of the houseing causing the fan to come forward about 1/2 inch ,in turn it got into the wiring harness for the viscous fan shorting out the PCM and causing major damage to to the wiring harness, fan blades. The PCM ground that was shorted caused the truck to also have a no crank conditiion. I had no ground at the starter relay to energize the starter relay! After repairing all of that mess replaced the PCM and my custumers truck cranked right after was reprogramming completed!! Now Im in no way bashing NAPA Im just trying to let everyone that they may have a bad run of water pumps !

Latest posts

Members online