Weird Problem..

Atsah

Reaction score
I drove my truck five hours on Friday down to MA and it ran perfect.. I drove back home and after the five hour drive the last 2 miles the truck had less power and when I idled in the driveway it was a little loopy.. 03, It's all stock, no CEL.. I had about 3000lbs in the truck on the way back.. Kinda strange..

Atsah

Reaction score
Well I just took it out to the store about five miles a way.. It seemed to me the turbo was in relearn so I stomped it WOT 5 or 6 times, first couple of times she was smoking black pretty good then it cleared up fine.. Ran like a top after that.. Maybe she just needed a good cleaning...:shrug:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Ya maybe the vanes on the turbo were alittle sticky. Hope it just needed to run man

Mdub707

Reaction score
A sticky turbo shouldn't make it idle with a lope though... I've been thinking about this one for a while. Not really sure. You still have the stock EGR system in place too? How many miles on the truck?

Atsah

Reaction score
A sticky turbo shouldn't make it idle with a lope though... I've been thinking about this one for a while. Not really sure. You still have the stock EGR system in place too? How many miles on the truck?

170K EGR system in place.. The valve may have been stuck as well..

Atsah

Reaction score
This same thing happened last year.. I brought it to a tech and he showed me on the laptop the turbo relearn.. It would go 1-7 and go back to 1 instead of completing the learn and it did this for like 15 minutes and then learned correctly and hasn't done it since.. If I remember correctly they smoked the exhaust for leaks and found nothing.. I'm thinking it could be the EBP..

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Ive noticed that if I drive for more than 2 hours/100+ miles my truck will idle with a lope when I park it to cool down. It will go back to normal the next day though. Seems to be similar to your truck.

Mdub707

Reaction score
This same thing happened last year.. I brought it to a tech and he showed me on the laptop the turbo relearn.. It would go 1-7 and go back to 1 instead of completing the learn and it did this for like 15 minutes and then learned correctly and hasn't done it since.. If I remember correctly they smoked the exhaust for leaks and found nothing.. I'm thinking it could be the EBP..

Might be worth removing/cleaning that EBP, as well as the tube it's connected to, especially with that many miles if it's never been done. EGR cleaning probably wouldn't hurt either.

Atsah

Reaction score
Might be worth removing/cleaning that EBP, as well as the tube it's connected to, especially with that many miles if it's never been done. EGR cleaning probably wouldn't hurt either.

Ya, the EBP and tube was cleaned and the EGR was replaced last year.. I'm going to pull everything out and see what I got..

Mdub707

Reaction score
I still find it hard to believe that would cause your issues though...

Ever tested your FICM for giggles?

Atsah

Reaction score
I still find it hard to believe that would cause your issues though...

Ever tested your FICM for giggles?

I have but not lately.. Good point, I'll do that in the morning for the he!! of it..

Mdub707

Reaction score
Exactly. I've also had FICM's that make my truck lope REALLY bad at idle when cold. To the point it sounds like the engine will die at any second. Even had it momentarily cut 4 cylinders off and back on. Yet, it read 48V at all conditions. Swapped it for another one I had and it ran great. Check it anyways and let us know what you get.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have 48V cold.. I don't think it's the FICM.. Why after I WOT it a few times does it all of sudden run fine?

Atsah

Reaction score
Did you end up pulling the EGR valve and the EPB sensor yet?

I did.. The valve looked good.. I blow out the EPB hose for the he!! of it.. Do you know anything about the turbo relearn? As I said in an earlier post it was doing the same thing last year.. When it does it, if your sitting at a light it surges a little.. I'm thinking it's turbo related at this point..

Mdub707

Reaction score
Just for fun, try checking over the MAP line. It goes to the brass nipple on the passenger side of the intake manifold. I've seen tiny hair line cracks in those cause similar situations. It's easy enough to check anyways.

I found some good info about the VGT re-learn here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/111840-vgt-relearn-2.html

Is it possible the VGT solenoid is acting up?

Atsah

Reaction score
Just for fun, try checking over the MAP line. It goes to the brass nipple on the passenger side of the intake manifold. I've seen tiny hair line cracks in those cause similar situations. It's easy enough to check anyways.

I found some good info about the VGT re-learn here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/111840-vgt-relearn-2.html

Is it possible the VGT solenoid is acting up?

I was going to check all of those things.. I'll put some time in having a look in the morning if we don't get the 6-8inchs of snow they are predicting.. :doh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.