Weird split second over heat, ideas?

slc6oh

Reaction score
So pullin roughly 10k up a good hill (eureka canyon on my way to the dunes) i can keep everything as far as temps go pretty well in check easily.(15-20 up on eot vs ect) except bout 3/4 the way up the first good hill i looked down and noticed 233 ect and 247eot (had jumped from 210/225 in the matter of seconds) then settles right back down to where it started just as fast as it went up then stayed back where id call "normal" the rest of the drive.... I did how ever push a good bit of coolant out the resivour. I had noticed after i made it all the way to where we camped. Temps stayed 200&215-20 the rest of the way after i crested the hill.

Assuming it will be time for head studs soon, but that weird quick hot flash has me concerned... Anyone delt with that? (Did it to me over 24th of july also towing same load up bigger hill)

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
210-225 is right on the verge if not over for needing an oil cooler. Thats probably not your flashing issue, but I would get that fixed sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
Egr welded shut, coolant flush with cummins restore+, new oil cooler, and coolant filter done in june. temp split while driving 60-65 unloaded stay 6-8* ... Unless im going 80mph or so ill start getting closer to 15* split....

Prior to oil cooler replacement id get 230-235* eot if not more just driving home from work .

255* eot once towing 3000# worth of trailer (when i decided enough is enough and did the oil cooler)

Last edited:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Head gaskets are beginning to let loose. That quick flash was probably from an air pocket in the cooling system due to compression entering.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Head gaskets are beginning to let loose. That quick flash was probably from an air pocket in the cooling system due to compression entering.

Yea kinda were im leaning, hg job dont scare me , just wanna check all options before jumping to gaskets

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I suppose hot af exhaust in the coolant could effect delta t on the oil over the cooler.

78f100

Reaction score
It is very possibly flash boiling the coolant, from the hot compression gas entering the coolant.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I suppose hot af exhaust in the coolant could effect delta t on the oil over the cooler.

You might be right on the oil cooler idea. When i replaced it a couple months ago i did an ebay special one.... Well maybe 6000mi and i went out this morning to a good size oil stain on the drive way.... Blue oil cooler gasket was leaking! All o rings and seals were hard and brittle and looked just dinky compared to the ford/maxxforce ones.

Well, lesson learned.... New oil cooler kit, & egr cooler/intake gasket from ford and 3hrs later i have all ford **** in it now.

Right from the jump eot/ect much much closer/follow eachother better. 6* split at most driving a highway w/ stop lights and a 55 mph speed limit. At stop lights eot would all but instantly drop a degree or two on its way back down to coolant temp.

So i cant jump on the idea of head gaskets not being bad till i tow again.... But might have been some of my issue for sure

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.