What are the highest eot/ect delta's you guys have seen?

ghohouston

Reaction score
On my company truck, my fan clutch has been coming on all the time, its annoying as hell. So, i hook up my scanner, and im showing no less that a 60 degree difference between eot and ect while driving between 75 and 80, ambient temp around 100ish. highest i saw oil temp go to was 282, coolant temp around 220. all the company runs is zerex g05 gold coolant, so no surprise there. Definitely time for a flush, some elc, and a new oil cooler.

Just wondering if anyone has seen way out of whack temps like this? Is it probably worth it to go ahead and replace the eot/ect sensors too?

78f100

Reaction score
Holy crap 282 is smoking hot. I had one run 254 oil temp a couple weeks ago but I don't remember coolant temp exactly but it was 210ish.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You may want to pop the oil filter housing cap off and make sure you aren't all melted up. 282* of oil temp is extremely bad. I would not recommend continuing to drive it under those circumstances. In my opinion, I would start tearing it down and grab my solution kit and upgrade to my billet oil cooler fitting:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45769

That will at least get you close but definitely will help prevent this from being a future reoccurrence

ghohouston

Reaction score
i know that it stupid hot for oil temps, i was shocked when i saw that. its due for an oil change in about 300 miles, so will have the filter out very soon. steve, feel free to pm me with a price for a full egr delete kit, and solution kit. The company will be buying a new oil cooler, but ill have to pay for the delete kit out of pocket, which i dont mind doing. whats up with the billet fitting? i seem to remember reading something about it a while back.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
They're going to be buying a new long block if they keep doing that or it gets too hot. It may have already happened. Pull the oil filter ASAP and see if plastic has melted, if it has, start looking.

I have seen a 75* split on an auction truck my buddy bought, it had a ruptured EGR cooler. He tossed a spare cooler he had on it and it ruptured it again almost immediately. Finally decided to monitor EOT and ECT and realized the oil cooler was the culprit. How the oil cooler didn't rupture, I don't know.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Mine was 190ect/245eot a couple mths ago before I swapped in a new cooler. That was at 65 running down the highway with the cruise set.

ghohouston

Reaction score
no melted plastic. the idiot running the ford shop of the company i work for is convinced my radiator is whats causing the issue. this guy is supposed to be some badass ford trained diesel mechanic, etc... and is positive a radiator with a bit of mud in some of the cores is causing the deltas to be way off. no way in hell. theyre gonna learn the hard way though, and my trucks gonna be with them even longer. sucks too, because he doesnt believe me about the gold coolant not being great on these trucks either. so even if i get a new oil cooler, theyre not going to properly flush it, and will go back with gold.

6speedsd

Reaction score
And this is why the 6.0 has such a bad rap. People know how to fix them, it's been proven how to fix one, and yet people still choose to go against the grain and not listen.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I don't really buy the gold being crap either, in fact I intentionally went with Ford's Gold coolant again when I did my studs/gaskets etc. My original oil cooler was still in spec at 115k miles. It's not so much the coolant as it is a lack of maintenance on the coolant systems, IMO. Not to say the ELC's people use are bad, but they typically don't meet Ford's spec for coolant in the 6.0 either...

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
The more reading i do the more i think the gold is ok, it just needs to be properly maintained. Once a year drain and refill really isnt a big deal and for me it is more reassuring than using elc and just leaving it for years at a time.
Unless your rly putting some major miles on yearly i see no reason to use elc.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.