What Causes the Missing/Fluttering Sound?

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I've noticed mostly stock 7.3's all have a missing- fluttering sound while some modified ones don't. Is it the turbocharger, the EPV?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I assume your talking about high idle with ebpv closed?

Reaction score
I think we are so used to it we arent thinking about what he's getting at. I had this same qustions as soon as I heard a 7.3 with opened up exhaust. It is typical to the 7.3. It is either part of the 7.3 to the listener or sounds like crap. It sounded like crap to me at first but it is now the signature sound. It has to do with the firing order of the cylinders. I beleive there are 2 cylinders on one bank that fire close together. The only trucks that don't seem to have this have headers. At least in the clips and comments I've heard....

sniper_101

Reaction score
Maybe he means the rattle of the injectors under little to no load? My 160's, with winter fuel, and 10*F and colder is pretty friggin loud. Enough that I intentionally speed up to put 5-8lbs of boost/load on the engine to keep it tolerable. Hoping when I add a regulated return it'll help quiet it down a bit. Also adding a nice generous helping of Stanadyne helps to soften the cackle. In the summer, under 4-6lbs, it's as quiet as can be, actually really nice to drive on long trips. Almost the opposite in winter unfortunately.

Last edited:

JD3020

Reaction score
Maybe he means the rattle of the injectors under little to no load? My 160's, with winter fuel, and 10*F and colder is pretty friggin loud. Enough that I intentionally speed up to put 5-8lbs of boost/load on the engine to keep it tolerable. Hoping when I add a regulated return it'll help quiet it down a bit. Also adding a nice generous helping of Stanadyne helps to soften the cackle. In the summer, under 4-6lbs, it's as quiet as can be, actually really nice to drive on long trips. Almost the opposite in winter unfortunately.

Sounds like your tunes might be running some bumped up timing. :shrug:

I think we are so used to it we arent thinking about what he's getting at. I had this same qustions as soon as I heard a 7.3 with opened up exhaust. It is typical to the 7.3. It is either part of the 7.3 to the listener or sounds like crap. It sounded like crap to me at first but it is now the signature sound. It has to do with the firing order of the cylinders. I beleive there are 2 cylinders on one bank that fire close together. The only trucks that don't seem to have this have headers. At least in the clips and comments I've heard....

And i think so as well. It seems like everyday i hear my truck idling it sounds like it has a damn miss, just the nature of the beast.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
This. Any stock or close to stock 7.3 sounds like its missing to me. I've heard some that don't and one of them had an H2E on it, so I was wondering if turbo rotation had something to do with it.

Latest posts

Members online