What I have Been Building on the Weekends

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Ive been building a SFI 25.3 chassis in my mustang. This is a street car though that sees alot of race duty... I had never used a tubing bender before. I was fairly okay with a tig welder, and a notcher too.

This chassis is all in chromoly and is legal to 6.50s in the 1/4 mile at 3600 lbs.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

Here is what I started with...

IMG_1991.jpg

3444c851.jpg

Got the floor peice built
7d4caf13.jpg

6660c835.jpg

Main hoop and first funny car bar

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

And then this weekends progress

7c7b81cc.jpg

e63111da.jpg

f58abb98.jpg

b89575bf.jpg

983e7735.jpg

c5e4bcdd.jpg

2e3c2e4e.jpg

a84b7893.jpg

Gonna start on the rear back bar setup now. Everything is tacked into place, once I know I got everything to fit, I will weld the whole thing completely up. Prolly take me 2-3 days because the only thing that is completely welded up is the floor piece.

Ill keep this up to date, just figured Id show you guys where my real heart and soul is. Only got into diesels to tow this to the race track.

Made a rear bar hoop, and just need to attach it to the rear subframe when I start working on this thing again.

efe64c5f.jpg

b28c873e.jpg

74d6c04a.jpg

22456beb.jpg

470f03dd.jpg

089d33b7.jpg

4e7932fc.jpg

7143466e.jpg

So this is where it will stay for atleast until next friday! I think I may start the rear trunk bars and parachute mount next weekend, either that or do the door bars and x the roof...

This is coming right along!

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Nice work!

Sub'ed

Thanks man! I had never done any tubing work or cage work... but I am really enjoying building this... Might beable to make a career of this if I don't want to work for a big corporation haha...

Sucks that I only get to work on it over the weekends though, I have been trying to do homework all day but I have been thinking about how im gonna do the next bar LOL. Im hoping my mini tub kit comes this week so I can start on that and get the coil over cross member done up in there and drop bars from the rear hoop above my package tray to the rear coil over bar that is welded to the inner of the rear subframe.

01platinum

Reaction score
That is a sweet project. Nice work for being a first timer with a tube Bender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I bought a JD2 Model 32 Manual bender... Being 20 I couldnt afford the hydraulic setup. But If I start buying cheap 500 dollar v6 cars and 4 cyl fox bodys and do 25.3's in those car, easily sell as 5-6 grand even with nothing but the chassis in the car even factory rear ends and stuff, and start doing this to make extra money, I will be ugrading to a hydraulic.

This chassis to have built at a chassis shop was quoted 9800 and 11200. I have 1600 in tools, 1400 in my welder(bought it a while ago not for this reason) and gas and everything there, and 1900 in material. So I have about 4800 in this chassis, and thats more than I have in my truck that runs and drives haha...

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I bet it comes in at an extra 55-60 pounds from the 10 point I had in there before. Chromoly is pretty light, and alot of that is 1.5 .065 wall tubing. I have some smaller that I get to use for gussets and stuff though. The extra strength is gonna be nice, and I love the "jacking"rails I have made with my floor structure.

But the mini tubs drop weight, as does the cutting all the trunk floor out, and hell the roof is gone haha its like 95 lbs.

Just in glass vs lexan which is going back in, I am gonna loose close to 80 lbs.

Im hoping with out me in it, with my blower setup and a iron block and c4, I can be at 2900 lbs. Put my fat ass in it and 100 lbs of ballast where I want it to set the chassis up and run the drag radial classes.

Dustin34520

Reaction score
Real nice work! You should start taking orders. I got a buddy that has been on a waiting list for almost a year to put one in his WS-6.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Real nice work! You should start taking orders. I got a buddy that has been on a waiting list for almost a year to put one in his WS-6.

Based on your location I hope he is taking it to Dave Zimmerman at TeamZ....

And thanks for the compliments guys! This is my first one, I have learned alot, and the roof never would come off if I were to do it again. But nobody will know the roof came off once I get to the point of putting it back on. There is no body work required!

BigTonka

Reaction score
an extra 55-60 pounds wow not bad at all I would have thought it would be more but then again what do I know LOL. Looking good can't wait to see more pics

Dustin34520

Reaction score
Based on your location I hope he is taking it to Dave Zimmerman at TeamZ....

And thanks for the compliments guys! This is my first one, I have learned alot, and the roof never would come off if I were to do it again. But nobody will know the roof came off once I get to the point of putting it back on. There is no body work required!

I don't think so, I'll have to ask him. I know it's in Pekin, IL. We went down there for his rear end. They are a popular but very small shop. They do great work, but they need to hire some more people if they have work lined up for over a year out. Sounds to me like this Dave Zimmerman might be worth a look. I tried to Google him but no luck. Do you have his contact information? Thanks

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I don't think so, I'll have to ask him. I know it's in Pekin, IL. We went down there for his rear end. They are a popular but very small shop. They do great work, but they need to hire some more people if they have work lined up for over a year out. Sounds to me like this Dave Zimmerman might be worth a look. I tried to Google him but no luck. Do you have his contact information? Thanks

TeamZ motorsports

He started as a stock supension chassis builder, and has developed into probably the best stock suspension builder/chassis tuner.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I have not got alot done today, but I have had two vistors and havent worked for like the last 2 hours...

87173876.jpg

9224c3e8.jpg

1ac83daf.jpg

8c489a9f.jpg

71e9c29a.jpg

Got the x braces built and started the gussets. Made it rasied like that so I have more clearance with my head.

imelmo

Reaction score
Well kick 'em out or put 'em to work! :D

I sure wish I could weld and stuff. Looks good. Do you have an engine for it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.