What intake is this?! Should I upgrade?

Pbguy420

Reaction score
Ok guys I just bought an 01 7.3l f250, and am new to the diesel and the auto anything world so Ive been loving the help I've gotten from this site.

Tho the previous owner told me there had been no upgrades to this truck I keep finding new stuff. I've added a dp tuner and isspro gauges, and have my 5" turbo back exhaust waiting to be installed.

When installing the gauges I noticed that the firewall plug had already been drilled and the holes where covered with duct tape. I've also found two mounting holes left of the cig lighter, probably for whatever gauge was installed....
I also believe the exhaust is aftermarket but its a bit rusted so I can't tell a manufacturer stamp... (it's cat back and I don't see a muffler, maybe it's combined?) -like I said, I'm new to this. There is also a red indicator light on the dash that doesn't turn on, can't figure out what it's for.

All of that was just frustration that the guy lied to me but here's my question...
Below are pictures of my intake which again he said was stock but I'm sure it's not. I want to know what it is and if I should upgrade it.... Its my daily driver but I'm slowly upgrading for power as I can afford it.

The box has an airaid sticker on it and the filter is k&n. The filter doesn't look as big as others I've seen so I want to know if it should be upgraded.

Also the box it's sitting in routes to the grill (which I'll soon do the DIY upgrade to- cutting an airflow hole). Thing is, the box, which also seats the battery looks like it had a cover at one point, but it's not there now. It seems that eliminates the cold air nature of the intake if it just draws from the engine compartment?! Let me know if you can tell what this system is from the pics and if it's ok or I should upgrade the whole deal rather than just doing the DIY Tymar deal.

I also posted a pic of the red light on dash if anyone has an idea what it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403500.447894.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403500.447894.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 66
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403519.335519.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403519.335519.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403558.281946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327403558.281946.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 59

91turbogsx

Reaction score
You'd be safe to assume its an Airaid intake and what I would assume is their filter. It's the same color as a K&N.

There is a cover that goes over the battery. Can't remember if it was integrated with the stock intake setup though. Nothing goes over the Airaid filter box.

Pbguy420

Reaction score
So, as I'm slowly upgrading this truck for performance should I upgrade to something like the ais, just buy a box cover and do the Tymar DIY intake or what? The filter IS k&n ) it says it on the filter.... Would I benefit from a whole new system, new filter or simply a box cover? So far I've done 5" turbo back exhaust, dp tuner and isspro gauges. As I upgrade I don't want to be limited by my intake...

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
its basically preference on intakes. Stay away from k&n cause ive been told the filter's holes are too big and let particals in (some do just fine with k&n, some dont). I personally like s&b but again its preference. And they guy probably had gauges on it but took them off and sold them when he knew he was selling the truck cause most people dont care about extra things on it, they see blue book value and thats it

4cstr

Reaction score
That is an aFe stage 1 intake. I used to have one on my early 99. They aren't bad...I had no issues with mine. However I did remove everything and am now running the filter as an open element resting on the fenderwell. If you chose to go this route...you'll need a small section of 4" exhaust pipe to splice between the filter and the intake tube. I've got some small sections of 4" SS piping laying around. Let me know if you need one, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Pbguy420

Reaction score
Ok do your saying just get rid of the filter housing and let it sit there open? Will this still get the same "cold air" benefits as a closed air system? I've seen a few people that when at speed underhood temps ate only a few degrees above outside temp.. But it seems on the line that the instant cold air could be beneficial... Like I said, I'm no Auto expert lol, I just don't want to limit performance when I don't have to

4cstr

Reaction score
Truthfully...my EGT's dropped a little when I switched to the open element. With the hood down, the only place for the engine to breathe is through that snorkel. Without that box, the engine can draw air in through the entire element. At low speed, high ambient outside temps I suppose you might draw in a little more engine heated air...but like you said...at speed enough air moves through the engine compartment that I don't think its an issue.

Latest posts

Members online