What is the Best way to prep the 6.0 DECK?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
First, I did search but all the threads seem old. I know having it decked is the "BEST" but i cant do this. I have watched alot of videos and read a few threads and everyone has a different method. I need to order everything im going to need to prep the deck in the next 2 weeks so im trying to get a parts list going!

Csilva187

Reaction score
what works for me is razorblades, 220 grit, penetrating oil, brake cleaner, and a bag of terry towels from Cosco that I wash with bleach for clean up to get rid of the dang fuzzes lol. I'm also a weekend warrior and that last sentence was long! Sorry fellers it's my bedtime. Good luck OP!

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
i called DI and talked to a few guys there when i did my 7.3. he said a thing of Scotch bright, scrape scrape scrap with the razor blade until nothing else comes off then go to town with the scotch bright. youll see the difference the pads make for sure. I used brake Kleen after to clean up and then hit it a few more times. i spent about 2-3 hours each side until it was perfect. 2 blocks this way and no issues so far.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I don't work on 6ohs ,but emery cloth on a block and wd40 has done good for all the blocks/heads ive done. I would most definitely recommend not using anything air/electric powered

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok i called Maryland performance, Bullet proof diesel and i called 3M. Spoke with them a little and everyone i talked to is recommending 3M Roloc # 07524 with base # 5339. I am about to order these im just not sure how many i will need. Obviously only 1 base... 3M also suggested Surface Conditioning Disc 07481. Has anyone used these?

T2eC16NzUE9s389zVZBRf6shK560_3_zps011e866d.jpg

07481,They also have these in fine and super fine. 07515 07516
8765_P_zps3e0c13fa.jpg

5339 They also have these in fine and super fine.
KGrHqYOKo0FHtDVjshBR4ErPJsw60_35_zpsf6a9d6e1.jpg

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
You have to be VERY careful with those, you can actually remove material if you're not careful. The object here is to have a clean surface, not remove any material. The best way is to have the block brought to the machinist and have it decked. That's not realistic for most though. I asked a ton about this before doing my headstuds, got 100 different answers. So many different methods. Having a flat stone to measure your warp on the block is a good idea. Ford's spec is .004" across any 6" length, .002" across any 2" length and .001" across any 1" area, or under.

Snake

Reaction score
After 3 head gasket jobs, each with a slightly different method of block prep, I'd recommend the Roloc 07524 and a large honing stone (used for sharpening knives). By large I mean 2"x14"

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
After 3 head gasket jobs, each with a slightly different method of block prep, I'd recommend the Roloc 07524 and a large honing stone (used for sharpening knives). By large I mean 2"x14"

Do you have a link to this said stone? I didn't find any with a quick search.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
The roloc disc works great but do be careful. Ford has a prepping solution that works for cleaning, but doesnt remove material

Brake clean
the roloc disk
a precision straight edge to check your work
and titanium knifes about 6" long to scrape surface

Latest posts

Members online