What welding hood do you have

hucorey

Reaction score
Plain ole Jackson Shadow for $30. Y'all are a bunch of yards wasting ur money on the fancy auto darkening hoods. :D. Been welding for 20yrs. State certified for unlimited structural and 6G certified high pressure boiler pipe. I love the simple hoods with a blue #10 lens

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

msmith

Reaction score
Optrel Satellite. Has two settings and a grinding mode. No batteries.

58CB5800_zps6cff6ca7.jpg

K.N.94PSD

Reaction score
I was welding before Miller ever started marketing their "own" foreign made hoods. Regardless, I've chosen and will continue to choose Jackson. The welding hood I own is a Jackson NexGen. Technically, I think the hood is a Jackson Shadow with a Jackson NexGen lens. Jackson has good customer service and their helmets and lenses are MADE IN USA. How many other manufacturers do you know actually make their own lenses in the USA? One thing that is very important with auto-darkening welding lenses is the switching speed. Jackson had and/or has the world's fastest switching speed (1/25,000 sec), which they claim is faster than the arc rays can hit your eyes. Another important factor is a large viewing area (Jackson had and/or has the largest) and standard cover plates. Non-standard curved cover plates that some of the other manufacturers use may look cool but can be difficult to find and more expensive to replace. If you do a fair amount of welding, you're going to go through a lot of cover plates...which will add up.

Hope it helps,
K.N.
Certified Welder

Jake

Reaction score
The speed of the electronics can't beat the speed of the light rays. Light covering a foot is about 1x10^-10 sec. I notice even with my Miller hood I get sore eyes, wear tinted glasses under my hood so I'm about a #6 tint before the hood comes on. No more sore eyes.

StockCar#10

Reaction score
Won this 400ci back in 2011 at the con-expo at miller, love its double function but it is pretty heavy

Attachments

• 2014-06-10-21-22-20--367038786.jpeg
    2014-06-10-21-22-20--367038786.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 93

Sterling B.

Reaction score
Miller Digital Performance. Bought it last December when I built my headache rack/bedrails and rear bumper for my brother's Tahoe. Very nice and comfortable.

psduser1

Reaction score
Speedglas, a couple actually. Miller digital, a savephace, a plastic huntsman, and an old cardboard huntsman with an auto darkening shade 11.
The only one I bought was the cardboard huntsman, the contractor will usually replace the lens as needed. That is usually the hood that goes to the job site with me, lol.
I'll usually wear tinted glasses under the hood also, helps alot!
I don't mind a fixed lens, they've made me a pile of cash, but most welds I make anymore, it's not feasible to use them.

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Heads up:

Miller is running $100 MIR on qualifying welders and $70 MIR on Digital Elite helmets and $40 MIR on Digital Performance helmets for those looking.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've got both an Optrell and Speedglass. The Optrell is nice as it is completely adjustable from the outside of the hood. Also, can go from 5 to 13 on the shade number which is good for ultra low amperage tig. I do a lot of small intricate ss welds and like the low shade settings for this.

The Speedglass is more comfortable and has more head adjustment though. Also has larger viewing area.

d3299a64c267a3e56737532cd485f5cd.jpg

f6cbedf6984fb2d422626f50a3559194.jpg

psduser1

Reaction score
I've got both an Optrell and Speedglass. The Optrell is nice as it is completely adjustable from the outside of the hood. Also, can go from 5 to 13 on the shade number which is good for ultra low amperage tig. I do a lot of small intricate ss welds and like the low shade settings for this.

The Speedglass is more comfortable and has more head adjustment though. Also has larger viewing area.

d3299a64c267a3e56737532cd485f5cd.jpg

f6cbedf6984fb2d422626f50a3559194.jpg
Yeeeaaaaa, that outside adjustment is nice. If you only weld on the bench. Try that touchinges up an exhaust, or any other tight spot, lol. Those knows will end up on the floor, or if your short-tempered, across the room:D

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeeeaaaaa, that outside adjustment is nice. If you only weld on the bench. Try that touchinges up an exhaust, or any other tight spot, lol. Those knows will end up on the floor, or if your short-tempered, across the room:D
Not everyone can have a sweet bench welding job like me. ;)

Not claiming to be a welder though. I just do some welding. Lol!