what would cause these trucks to eat hpops?

speedracer1000

Reaction score
obviously a broken reservoir screen but i jus did a bunch of work to this 04 my buddy bought it needed hg's so we hauled it in and tore into it doin studs egr delete new stock injectors, and i replaced the oil cooler and screen while i was in there, so i kinda got that ruled out, but ever since i first got it runnin its always had a icp too low code in it, guy drove it for prob a month it ran perfect, then the hpop went out, replaced it, drove it 5 days and it went out again, so i put another one in it and it runs perfect for now, been drivin it a few days but i still got that code, i hooked my scanner on it and it wont match desired icp any higher than 3500. it usually maxes the regulator at 85% at around 3/4 throttle or 3000 psi it fluxuates a little bit but wen the desired icp is 4000 it wont match it, it hangs in the mid 3k area. also at idle icp reg is at 23% at 580 psi. i suspect no leaks cuz wen hot or cold it starts right up. jus an assumption of course, any idea wuts goin in with this thing? i should mention it has the sct canned street tune on it. ive done a pile of work on 6.0s so they arent new to me, jus cant quite figure this one out

Last edited:

Whytry

Reaction score
How many miles on oil? What type of oil? Also did the first pump come apart? Did you clean out the metal shavings in the engine?

speedracer1000

Reaction score
maybe 1000 miles on the oil, i dont think the pump came apart, i changed out the ipr and there was a few small pcs of dirt on the screen on the old one but who knows how long thats been like that.

Mdub707

Reaction score
What's low pressure oil PSI? What brand of oil filter in there?

It seems like it's really common for the IPR to have issues right after an HPOP replacement, even if a new IPR was used.

Cr500

Reaction score
Your ipr duty numbers at idle sound good. At what rpm do you find the system can't make the pressure the PCM is commanding?
I'm sure you know 85% is the most the PCM can command the ipr. At what pressure do you see it jump to 85?
I've had plenty of trucks make all the right numbers at idle but once going you can tell of an internal leak.
These pumps that fail, have you taken them apart or anything to see what's dying?
A good practice on an 03-04 pump is to first put the swash plate where it should be, then pin it to keep it from coming loose.
Like someone else mentioned, you need to know what the low side is making. Just because your dash idiot gauge is ok doesn't mean it is. The oil pressure switch closes at 3 psi. So anything over 3, your gauge reads in the normal. Below 3, it is at bottom of its scale.
There is a test port at front of oil cooler housing, you probably don't have a quick connect for it though. If you remove it, the thread there is 9/16-18, or -6 o ring boss.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.