where can it fall to?

prototypemo

Reaction score
replacing injector 7 and my t30 torx bit fell....i heard a slight ting and now its no where to be found. i put a bore scope in it and cant see it anywhere in the area. got a magnet in the injector slot and got on top of the piston and its not there. where else dows it have a chance to fall to?

Also please no smart ass comments, at this point I have run completely out of money, out of time and out of options. I am past my breaking point and could just use some advice of which route to go or where else to look.

Thanks

Guy thats about to lose it

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I can't tell you where it went because I too have discovered that my engine bay is a virtual black hole. If I ever pull that engine I'm going to need a bigger tool box to accomodate all of the "new" tools I find in there.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
this is the second time this has been posted here... What kind of 'bit' are you guys using???

is the socket thats attatached to the bit falling too, or is just the bit falling out of the socket?

if anything, it fell down the oil galley and is now resting in the oil pan, or worse, resting on the upper oil pan...

these are what I have

FTXEL30TPE.jpg

yes I custom cut mine down(alot of E series work), therefore having to put a little bead on to hold it from falling out, but what brand bits are you guys using that are falling out???

Last edited:

prototypemo

Reaction score
Well that what I used for the others. But didn't have clearance on 7. So I used just a standard dewalt bit in a magnetic holder to clear. So...be how screwed am I, I don't know how the inside oil passages work on this motor. And upper oil pan?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
well the outer edge of the rockerbox/head have big oil drains that lead down to the pan. the upper oil pan is the aluminum bed that the actual oil pan bolts to. it has baffles/windage trays built in. I myself have actually dropped an ARP headstud(dont ask) down this particular passage and was able to retrieve it by just dropping the pan down

prototypemo

Reaction score
Ok that's what I was wondering, if it would fit. and where it lead to...heaad stud? that seriously fit?!! jesus....so im pretty much shat out of luck huh? cause the only way to remove the pan is to pull motor right?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
incorrect. I was able to drop the pan enough to get a magnet in there and fish the stud out.

I recommend draining the oil, and pounding on the pan to see if you can hear it. if not, just take the pan down a bit.

and if you really need to remove the pan, raise the engine a bit with a crane, undo the mounts and drop the pick up tube. pan comes right out

prototypemo

Reaction score
ok so the upper oil pan is the bed plate correct? this is the stupid question...and yes imgonna ask because thats how limited my resources are right now...if it goes to the pan can the oil pickup tube pick up the bit? because i dont have the tools, resources or cash to tear this thing apart to find this bit. im also thinking about maybe pulling the injector sleeve as im not sure what im looking at through the bore scope but i dont think its my piston...?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I highly doubt it went into the cylinder, did you check around the pushrods?

No, the bedplate is different, bedplate is what hold the bottom end together, part of the block with the mains. oil pan bolts to upper, upper bolts to bedplate

pickup tube will not pick it up, there is a metal screen on it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
ok so the upper oil pan is the bed plate correct? this is the stupid question...and yes imgonna ask because thats how limited my resources are right now...if it goes to the pan can the oil pickup tube pick up the bit? because i dont have the tools, resources or cash to tear this thing apart to find this bit. im also thinking about maybe pulling the injector sleeve as im not sure what im looking at through the bore scope but i dont think its my piston...?

the opening for the injector tip is no bigger in the head than it is the cup.

maybe put the borescope into the hole, and by hand turn the engine over SLOWLY and see if you get a better picture

prototypemo

Reaction score
Ok I understand the order now, I was planning on pulling the rockers and further inspecting the area. Because it fell between the spring and injector hold down, but I couldn't get it with the magnet so I pulled injector, went to get it, heard it fall somewhere then it was gone...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No need to remove any of that.

have you put the bore down the oil drain near where it fell?

prototypemo

Reaction score
i was trying to but couldnt get in through the opening. maybe im trying the wrong spot or bad angle. and my bore scope was too big to get through actual injector cup, its 17mm but i could nut it up and see a descent view of area

prototypemo

Reaction score
ok so its not in the cylinder, the piton is almost top dead center and i got the magnet back in there and the bit wasnt there. and the gap between the piston and the bottom of the valve is too narrow for the bit to have fallen on top of the piston. so im gonna put the injectors back in and put it all back together. than pull the ooil and pan and see if its there. if not im gonna put a huge magnet on the bottom of the pan and hope and pray it eventually falls and gets itself stuck to it....can someone tell me how bad of an idea this is so that I know i am completely stupid...

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
If it fell into the oil pan you could actually just drive it as is. It cant get picked up by the pickup tube so it can just lay in the forever...

prototypemo

Reaction score
Drained oil, pounded around and heard nothing. Put bore scope in and looked around and didn't see the fitting...any thoughts?

prototypemo

Reaction score
well never found it.....put it all back together....put a magnet on the oil pan...started it and prayed to every god i know of...and....runs just fine??? im not gonna complain

Latest posts

Members online