Where's the Alaska Army?

strokinak

Reaction score
I might try something when I get home. Im up north right now at work, and really don't have the time at the moment.

907DAVE

Reaction score
As soon as I'm running again, I WILL be making a trip down.

that_guy

Reaction score
Depending on the day, I will be up for it as well!!! And if my buddy isn't on the slope I am sure he would like to as well

Willman940

Reaction score
Evening Gentlemen, I've just moved here to fairbanks, and I will eventually bringing my 99 7.3/ZF6 up. I have 2 questions,

Does anyone know the labor rate at Seekins off hand?

How hard is it to prepare a truck for life in Alaska.

My truck is going to need an entirely new wiring harness and I havn't decided weather to have it done at home and then drive it up or get it all done her and have the dealer also add battery booster/tranny heater.

The truck runs and drives now but has it's little nuances caused by the previous owner trying to combine a 02 wiring harness with the original one.

Hope your enjoying your weekend,

John

907DAVE

Reaction score
Seekins is $120/HR, IIRC.

Plan on getting around 150watts of heat (2 75w heaters fit perfect) on the oil pan and at least 75 watts on the trans. Stay away from battery heaters/ blankets, you could get a trickle charger if you must have something. But its not absolutely necessary if you plan on using the truck on a regular basis.

Synthetic lubricants are also a good thing to have.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Seekins is $120/HR, IIRC.

Plan on getting around 150watts of heat (2 75w heaters fit perfect) on the oil pan and at least 75 watts on the trans. Stay away from battery heaters/ blankets, you could get a trickle charger if you must have something. But its not absolutely necessary if you plan on using the truck on a regular basis.

Synthetic lubricants are also a good thing to have.

Thanks Dave, finally someone who agrees with me about Battery blankets!!! Been saying this for years, but some people just don't want to listen.

Willman, Definitely as a minimum, install the heaters Dave mentioned. I had those heaters on my truck and never had an issue starting in the winter unless i forgot to plug in or had bad batteries

Also, make sure you buy some arctic rated extension cords, they are more flexible in.the cold.and don't get as brittle. Additionally, buy a cord with a lighted plug on it or buy a lighted plug adapter. Either way, you will be glad u did. It just allows u to know u have.power to your extension cord when the truck is plugged in

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
A company called Coast to Coast (IIRC) deals alot with shipping vehicles. Think my crew cab was going to cost $1200 to get to Washington.

snafu

Reaction score
Well Gentlemen, I come to you again with a question. Do any of you know anything about shipping my truck up here from the states?

It's a lot more expensive to ship north, mine was 2300 I used Totem Ocean express, they were a little more than the others but make the trip in three days. It is also a ship not a barge, and i didnt want it on a car hauler because of rock chips.

I am new to Alaska is there any dyno or track days coming up for diesels?

907DAVE

Reaction score
The rumor is October 20th. There's about 5 guys from Fairbanks area that are planning to make the trip down.

snafu

Reaction score
So is the track day still a go, I would like the info on it. Planning on coming out.

Willman940

Reaction score
Do any of you run skid plates to protect your oil pan heaters? A guy I work with ended up in the ditch a while back and said that tore off his heater pads, I commonly and moving through deep snow is that a problem/something to worry about? Have you ever heard of the Extreme Pulse charger/ Maintainer. I called Alaska Battery Supply here in fairbanks and that's what they recommended. Thought I'd run it by you guys too. The truck can sit for long periods of time and has a security system for a parasitic load. I also thought (as recommended) the charger would help for cold days.

Thanks for your time,

John

Willman940

Reaction score
Another question. As of now, I plug the truck in all night at home. The guy at Napa said that could cook my oil to the pan with too big a heater. Although I doubt that, I figured I'd ask you guys what the proper size heater would be I didn't see 75w there but I'll look again. I know we keep the trucks at worked plugged in constantly when not in use to I'll have to climb under them, although they are 6.7s and 6.0s.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try not to hijack the thread anymore.

CamTom12

Reaction score
At -40 I'd give it about 4 hours before I needed to crank it.

I ran a timer and would double-check the settings the night before.

I think I have a 100w on my oil pan, but I'm not 100% on that.

Latest posts

Members online