Which Turbine Housing for 38R?

edge186

Reaction score
Well, I recently paid off the ole' 7.3L and I am planning to upgrade to a 38R and a new intake manifold sometime in the next few months. I understand that a 38R comes with a 1.0 A/R Turbine housing, however, 0.84 A/R and 1.15 A/R are optional upgrades.. I'm not sure if the 1.0 would be fine for me or whether I should pick up one of the others as well. Also, I am not sure on whether wastegated or non-wastegated would be better.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The 1.0 will be good for you. When/If you get injectors, you may consider upgrading.

farm boy

Reaction score
If your vendor of choice gives you the option to upgrade to the 1.15 housing, do it!
I like mine. Ill be hooking up my drive pressure gauge this weekend to get some readings w/ the 1.15 housing. I have no regrets though.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I have AC codes and 38R with 1.0 housing. I don't think I'd want a 1.15 with my 6spd. I have no issues with EGT's even towing HEAVY and spool-up between shifts is great.

I never adjusted WG and was only making 20-22psi until I plugged the hose. Now I see 30psi and drive pressure is maybe 35psi MAX. I could see WG being more important with bigger sticks - but the experts here may say different. (I'm just a dum redneck - not any kind of expert for sure!)

TyCorr

Reaction score
The numerically larger housing isnt readily available anymore. You'll be sitting with the standard 1.00 a/r hsng.. The .84 isnt any good on our trucks.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats what I needed to know. Thank you for the input.

Garrett stopped producing them. There are some around but they are fairly hard to locate. The.84 would be good on a smaller displacement motor that needed to spool a "big" charger. You will have ZERO problems spooling the 38r with a stock truck. Even without a chip!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.