Which turbo?

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
I'm wanting to upgrade turbo's soon. just need some help on deciding what will be best. I had it narrowed down to the elite tow power compounds but the s366 single turbo kit from mpd seems prettygood to. so i'm lost. I do plan on adding fuel at some point just not right now. I don't tow with my truck its simply a expensive toy. so what would be the better set up and add the most power. thanks for any help.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Those systems are so different it would be hard to give you a recommendation. The single guys will say the s366 and the others, well you know. You running down the track? A good single will give you gobs of power at the loss of some driveability. IMO

Tow powers will give you great stock like spool and power, but I don't think it will compare to the s366 and what you could get out of it.

Matt

Reaction score
It's kind of tough to say without having a better idea of what direction you want to go with things. The MPD set up is pretty easy to grow on down the road, and it's hard to beat the pricing. At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complain about a set of Tow Powers.

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
See that's where i'm having such a hard time. I love how I have no lag right nowand very little smoke. but then also miss the sound of the single turbo and want to make the most power possible for a reasonable price. while still having some street manners.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Those systems are so different it would be hard to give you a recommendation. The single guys will say the s366 and the others, well you know. You running down the track? A good single will give you gobs of power at the loss of some driveability. IMO

Tow powers will give you great stock like spool and power, but I don't think it will compare to the s366 and what you could get out of it.

I think tow powers make more than a 366 ... Prolly 50-75 more.

Matt

Reaction score
That's what is nice about the MPD single kit. Start with a 66, then later on add fuel and an s475. Proven for 850-900hp. When choosing set ups, remember elevation does play a role.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
That's what is nice about the MPD single kit. Start with a 66, then later on add fuel and an s475. Proven for 850-900hp. When choosing set ups, remember elevation does play a role.

Hahaha, especially when it comes to singles for sure. I don't know how many DPC conversations I had with guys. "Everyone said elevation would make a difference, but god damn!" It causes havoc on big ones.

Matt

Reaction score
Hahaha, especially when it comes to singles for sure. I don't know how many DPC conversations I had with guys. "Everyone said elevation would make a difference, but god damn!" It causes havoc on big ones.

I believe it, mountains suck anyways... haha

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
that's kinda what I was thinking. I talked to someone from mpd and got a price on the next one above the s366 but still unsure how it would be on the street. I want to be somewhere between 650-700 rwhp. as far as altitude goes i'm pretty close to sea level.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Someone just made 700hp on stock fuel with a s472. The BIGGEST thing is you will need is custom tuning. That seems to make or break peoples performance and opinions at a lower altitude. It youre anywhere near 5000ft forget it

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
Someone just made 700hp on stock fuel with a s472. The BIGGEST thing is you will need is custom tuning. That seems to make or break peoples performance and opinions at a lower altitude. It youre anywhere near 5000ft forget it

Some of this is still new to me so this may be a dumb question but do you mean live tuning? and I've been told eric was one of the better ones to do it if I go with the single. i'm pretty much set on the single now.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
If you go with the 66, call Matt at Gearhead. My truck ran awesome with his tunes and that charger. Eric's were powerful but not as street friendly. You'll need a late lockup tune to keep from getting under the charger and smoking a ton. If you haven't already ordered a kit, I would really look into tow powers if you like quick spool up.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

pretty sure corsili made a hair over 700 with a 72 a couple years back.

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
If you go with the 66, call Matt at Gearhead. My truck ran awesome with his tunes and that charger. Eric's were powerful but not as street friendly. You'll need a late lockup tune to keep from getting under the charger and smoking a ton. If you haven't already ordered a kit, I would really look into tow powers if you like quick spool up.

Are you still running that set up? I haven't ordered yet still gonna be about a month but I just want some other opinions before I did. But I can live with some lag. I'm sure this will be difficult to explain but how was it on the street and what kinda power did it make?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you still running that set up? I haven't ordered yet still gonna be about a month but I just want some other opinions before I did. But I can live with some lag. I'm sure this will be difficult to explain but how was it on the street and what kinda power did it make?

i think colton went to the S147 .. he went to huge power, he couldnt leave well enough alone.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Driveability wise with a 472 isn't terrible with IDP custom tunes. OD is at 60mph so anything under that is smoke free and spools pretty easy. With xrace or xstreet ita smokey and laggy. OD off with tow/haul button is sweet too. Def won't compare to stock housing compounds. I was at ocean city, md and anything other than a stop light or they'd let me spool my turbo for a couple seconds from a slow roll you can't touch 6.4 compound spool up.

Here's a couple videos. Just a 0-45mph everyday driving drive by. And second one is just showing boost and turbo noise going up a back road hill. That's with the 30% nozzles though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yFPh7EYEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYuIF3a-4I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JD_MILLS

Reaction score
That's seems good to me. Definitely gonna be a while before a add fuel and injectors. I just want to get the most bang for my buck. If its a little smoky or has some lag I can deal with that.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Tow Power Plus has made over 700 as well, and that 72.4 is a big improvement. If you want instant response, I'd go that route, if slight loss of throttle response isnt a big deal, s366

Super08Duty

Reaction score

No I'm not running a 66 anymore. Still a single, just larger. It wasn't terrible on the street. It did have some dead spots where it would be a little laggy. But once you get used to driving it, you won't mind the slight lose of spool up and louder exhaust note. When I dynod that setup, my truck made just under 600hp with rail pressure low. It was a very fun daily driver.

Latest posts

Members online