Whining noise?? Plz help

roustabout04

Reaction score
Ok so I'm gonna end up pulling these last 3 hairs out. I've had an annoying whine and have had it almost 2 months and can't figure out the cause or location. Heres what I got:
It's not in the front or rear end.
It's not a u joint or swing bearing.
The up pipes arent leaking.
The noise get louder as my turbo boosts and drops as my boost drops.
It only does it when in gear. Even if I put it in 4wd and do a stall like I'm about to launch.
It seems to change pitch and tone with engine rpm especially from 1700-2200 rpm.
If I'm going down the road and put it in neutral it and rev up it doesnt do it.
I've changed tranny fluid and both filters. The fluid was clean as the new fluid I replaced it with.
I've changed front and rear diffs fluid.
Changed u joints and swing bearing.
Boost isn't affected. Power isn't affected. Fuel mileage isn't affected. It's not the tires.
If I let off the throttle it goes away. It only whines under load while in gear. Even when taking off it does it.
It's not the power steering pump or idler pulley or anything that's belts driven.
I'm at whits end. PLEASE HELP!!!

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Have you check for a boost leak? Also is the downpipe vibrating on the firewall?

bad moose

Reaction score
Check your intercooler lines and boots. If it's a tiny leak you will not loose boost, joys of vgt. Left intercooler boot and the outlet boot of your turbo are popular places.

alwil

Reaction score
Check for a crack in the flex section of your uppipe.....mine did the same thing when it was cracked.
It never did leave any soot behind either.

STROKER

Reaction score
Does it sound like a tea kettle, if it does i would say headgaskets are going bad or maybe coolant cap

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
^^ what they said, plus look at where the up pipes connect to the turbo. Its kinda hard to get it to seat right sometimes. Alot of the trucks I work on are leaking there because another shop didnt seat it right.

roustabout04

Reaction score
dp isnt anywhere close enough to be hitting the firewall.
ive checked the boost lines and hoses and have found no leaks. (used soap and water mix in spray bottle)
ok my up-pipe isnt leaving soot either if thats the case. but if i rev in neutral it doesnt make the sound. only if the trucks in gear putting the engine under a load.
im not losing coolant so its not the hg's or the degas cap.
i havent ever had it undone to get the up-pipe misaligned or to cause it not to be seated.
it started making the noise on the interstate coming home from work one day. i was cruising around 70 and the noise just started. i need a 6.0 friend that lives close and would come drink beer and help me with this lol.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
At idle there is no boost so the boots may not leak at idle or free reving because there isn't boost either. I would build a boost leak detector. It will cost u about 15 bucks at home depot or lowes. Short piece of pvc and cap to clamp onto intake piping. Drill and tap for a gauge and an air fitting. Pressurize to 12 ish psi and then check with the soap and water.

alwil

Reaction score
dp isnt anywhere close enough to be hitting the firewall.
ive checked the boost lines and hoses and have found no leaks. (used soap and water mix in spray bottle)
ok my up-pipe isnt leaving soot either if thats the case. but if i rev in neutral it doesnt make the sound. only if the trucks in gear putting the engine under a load.
im not losing coolant so its not the hg's or the degas cap.
i havent ever had it undone to get the up-pipe misaligned or to cause it not to be seated.
it started making the noise on the interstate coming home from work one day. i was cruising around 70 and the noise just started. i need a 6.0 friend that lives close and would come drink beer and help me with this lol.

My leak was at the flex joint on the pass side.....it didnt blow soot either.
I had to have a friend watch under the hood while I reved the engine to see where the leak was coming from.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Ok so I'm gonna end up pulling these last 3 hairs out. I've had an annoying whine and have had it almost 2 months and can't figure out the cause or location.
I'm at whits end. PLEASE HELP!!!

So you been hanging out with my wife for 2 months now huh!!! That's most definitely and annoying whine... LOL... Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm of no use, I know.

roustabout04

Reaction score
ok after a very thorough run thru of everything for the 5th time i thought what the hey and took it to a tranny shop. the tech says the planetary is whats making the noise soooo ill just drive it til it blows up lol. then put a new tranny in with some better guts. maybe ATS or Suncoast? or maybe just get the shop to put some heavy duty parts in it. a 12 month/12k warranty isnt much but its better than what i have now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.