Who has overload springs installed? I have an issue maybe...

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
So Ive been chasing a clunk as most of the regulars know ( and seen my threads ) Turns out that the overload spring is hitting the rear bumper pad. Here is a little history:

I had just bought the truck about 2 months ago with 36k on the clock, and never thought to check the bed out before buying it. The truck came with a new drop in bed liner that I planned on removing and having a spray in installed. I pulled it up yesterday and seen there was a 5th wheel installed at some point. That lead me to second guess the leafs as a potential clunk

So yesterday I went to look around again and trying to find out where the clunk was originating from. So I put some grease on the overload spring and sure enough, contact... Whats weird is that if I hit a bump on the highway, I dont really get anything at all, then I hit a dip on the highway and I can here the clunk noise, drivers side rear. Or hell something as small as a speed bump, I can hear it. Most people on the forums were telling me end links, and this is the symptoms too. But everything is super tight, rubber wise.

Now here are my questions:

1. Being that this has a 5th wheel installed could this mean my springs are sagged and causing the overloads to contact?

2. I attached a picture so you can see the distance. Is the distance correct, it seems pretty close unloaded to me. Both sides look the same in the rear and the fronts have more of a gap, around 5-6".

3.Could the leafs be sagged, hence the reason its so damn close from the overload springs to the rubber bumper? Any way to check, possibly measure wheel wells?

4. I also read a few people experience the same clunk noise unloaded like I am ( while hitting certain bumps ).

img20130507230529033.jpg

Here are a few updates with pictures...

I aired up the tires to both 65 psi and took the best centered measurement I could.. Odd thing is, Im having an issue on the drivers side, but the passengers side is lower lol..

Here are some pictures of the measurements and the gaps on the leafs.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I think you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist right there. Might be making a noise, but those overloads look fine to me. I can't imagine they're "sagging" with that low of mileage, even if it was towing a bunch.

JMart

Reaction score
Is it just me or does that driver's side rear have less arch than the passenger side? I just looked at mine and it looks like there is more curve to the overload than what you have on the driver's rear. but the distance from spring to bump stop looks about the same.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I think the drivers side is jsut the angle and its portraying an issue. You're the second guy that said that. I may have another picture of it

bad moose

Reaction score
Overloads aren't your problem. Stupid question, you stated a fifthe wheel had been installed. Did they leave the chain loops in the bed? With my 4inch exhaust the bottom of the left chain loop would bang on the exhaust. Weird times, bumps sometimes and during shut downs and start ups is when I noticed it.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Hmm. what do these loops look like? Im unaware obviously

edited: are the IN the bed or under the bed?

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maybe the springs are a touch soft. If they are lighter code.springs with an overload they could have spent their entire previous life on the overloads. My stock springs were like that. My 6" lift has no.overloads but the springs are sooooo much stiffer. Stock.suspensions blow.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah I dunno whats what 100%. I dont need the overloads, so I may just remove the rear bumper. Its a two-fer... I'll remove the bumper since I dont need them, and in return I'll see if I still hear the noise. If I dont .... lol But I'll check for chain loops. There is a plastic drop in bed liner, so I'll have to yank it out and see whats what. I just seen the holes when peeking under it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wouldnt remove the overload pad. Id be.removing spring packs and looking at them first. If you dont intend to run stiffer springs those pads will get a workout with a trailer on it.

You can just put a fingers worth of grease on the pad and IF thats the problem it'll go away. My vote is.something is loose.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
more then likely you wont move anything enough to make that noise when there is a few ton of pressure on the suspension....

clean the leaf packs off real good where the center pack bolt is and check for cracks... or lift the rear of the truck at the hitch high enough to clear the tires off the ground and check more for broken leafs and may be able to rattle more things too...
if nothing is broke then you just have a weak set of springs. so bag it or add springs to the pack.
live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online