WOT converter lockup strategies

mandkole

Reaction score
What is the typical 4R100 TC lockup strategy for a drag file? is it locked the whole time after the 1-2 shift or does it unlock at the gear change? Still understanding these autos...

11STROKER

Reaction score
What is the typical 4R100 TC lockup strategy for a drag file? is it locked the whole time after the 1-2 shift or does it unlock at the gear change? Still understanding these autos...

once it makes the 1-2 shift it will stay locked up all the way through

mandkole

Reaction score
Thank you-- makes sense. Do most tuners use full throttle position to 'arm' the lock on launch or is it usually requested immediately on the change to 2nd gear regardless of throttle position? I guess I'm wondering which way to set it up.

CurtisF

Reaction score
In my drag race tune, I have the function set to lock the TC in 2nd at anything over 1/2 pedal. However, in the parameters, I put a delay timer on the TC lock after the 1-2 shift. The result is a TC lock approximately halfway through 2nd gear.

I've found that if I lock the TC immediately on the 1-2 shift, the RPM drop is too drastic and it slows my 1/4 mile time slightly. So the timer is set to keep RPM's up and to avoid that slight engine lug at the 1-2 shift.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
The only downside of the PCS is the lack of control on TC lockup. Its only done off MPH, I wish there was a parameter for WOT so you could delay it and be more exact vs guessing what RPM/MPH you will be at.

FWIW I usually lock in 2nd at 13-16 MPH

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Not to derail , but what would be the harm in a lockup at 50% throttle or more ? I have a semi built trans and tc and always wait for lockup @35 mph before full throttle for fear of destroying my tc.. I guess my question is why not lock the tc at any throttle pos after the 1-2
sent while looking at a hole in my block

CurtisF

Reaction score
Not to derail , but what would be the harm in a lockup at 50% throttle or more ? I have a semi built trans and tc and always wait for lockup @35 mph before full throttle for fear of destroying my tc.. I guess my question is why not lock the tc at any throttle pos after the 1-2

Lugging the engine is the only reason really. In flat lands without a load it wouldn't make much of a difference. Towing or driving in altitude over mountains is a different story altogether.

A while back I tried a tow tune with the TC locking in 2nd. It was horrible on switchback roads in the mountains with a load behind me. Took it off and never looked back.

But everyone has their preference, and it doesn't hurt to try it. You or others might like it.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
The only downside of the PCS is the lack of control on TC lockup. Its only done off MPH, I wish there was a parameter for WOT so you could delay it and be more exact vs guessing what RPM/MPH you will be at.

FWIW I usually lock in 2nd at 13-16 MPH

TCC control is AWESOME in that system... you can adjust length of time to lock, length of time to unlock, lock in first etc etc....

ANYTHING you want to do is easy .... I have locked it up at 3mph, and over 1.5 seconds works like a dream.... but engine tire size, rpm etc needs to be calculated.... its real simple math... I made a spread sheet to do it for me...

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I disagree. It would be nice to have something similar to the factory delay setting so you don't risk lug on a launch.

For normal driving. Ya it's nice. But like I said. It's a bit of a guessing game when drag racing and wot. Your shifting is now based off of wot (if you want it to) but your lock up isn't.

I wasn't talking about lockup or unlock rate. Or what gear it can lock in.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score

I will agree with Curtis. I used to have lockup in 2nd at half throttle and up and for normal flat driving it's fine. But try to pull the slightest grade or move anything more then a small utility trailer and it's a chore.

Throw an s475 in the mix and it's just brutal

mandkole

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but Im not sure I have any lock in 2nd right now with any of the tunes. For street driving its great, but it blows through the 1-2 and 2-3 in a drag scenario and doesnt really pull until into 3rd/locked. I expect ET is off .20-.25 and a 2-3 mph in 1/8 due to this.

Are you locking right after the 1-2 (noted by bigr) or are you delaying a little (as Curtis said)? I was planning to let the tuner make the call, but wondered how much everyone varies on this.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but Im not sure I have any lock in 2nd right now with any of the tunes. For street driving its great, but it blows through the 1-2 and 2-3 in a drag scenario and doesnt really pull until into 3rd/locked. I expect ET is off .20-.25 and a 2-3 mph in 1/8 due to this.

Are you locking right after the 1-2 (noted by bigr) or are you delaying a little (as Curtis said)? I was planning to let the tuner make the call, but wondered how much everyone varies on this.

Could try one of each and see which one nets you the fastest time. Since I race at altitude only, I have to keep RPM's up. It might vary for you depending on where you live.

David N

Reaction score
Not the answer anyone is looking for, but this is the reason I wired in a manual lock up switch. With a little practice I just lock mine as soon as I go WOT racing, and everyday driving I lock it when I want.

To some its probably a pain, but it doesn't bother me flipping the switch.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not the answer anyone is looking for, but this is the reason I wired in a manual lock up switch. With a little practice I just lock mine as soon as I go WOT racing, and everyday driving I lock it when I want.

To some its probably a pain, but it doesn't bother me flipping the switch.

Hows that new setup run?

mandkole

Reaction score
David, since you are locked immediately, how is the 1-2 shift? It would seem to pull rpm down quite a bit. Ive got a manual switch, but I havent tried it on the track yet. Rather than buying a lock file right away, I may need to practice engaging it at different points and see what happens.

David N

Reaction score
Hows that new setup run?

I love it! Definitely worth blowing the PMR engine. I need some bigger oil now. LOL

And I don't think it really lugs the engine on the 2-3 shift. But then again Ive never really paid much attention to it. Next time at the track I will find out.

Latest posts

Members online