Would this work?

6speedsd

Reaction score
One of our customers runs a radiator shop. We were talking the other day about random things and the topic of a coolant flush came up. He mentioned a technique to try which I personally haven't heard of before (but if this is in fact common, I apologize). He said he has seen people flush a 6.0 in this way....

Pull thermostat
Remove lower radiator hose.
Insert water hose into degas tank, turn the water on, and fire the truck up.
Let it idle with that fresh clean water being pulled in through everything until it runs clear.

What do you guys think? Would it work? Or am I overlooking something here? I know running tap water in the engine isn't really advisable, but if you followed that up with a regular distilled water flush, what would it hurt? Logically thinking, to me it seems like it would be a good way to flush everything really well, and be much quicker than the normal way of filling, running, draining 5-10 times.

He also mentioned using vinegar instead of Restore (cheaper alternative). Said vinegar would dissolve or break loose the vast majority of that gunk in the system. My dad kept putting regular tap water in his (with me constantly telling him not to :fustrate:), so now his coolant system is full of that muddy, milky crap. It actually stopped up his climate control valve in the heater hose to the point where it wouldn't operate period. Going to do a good flush once the temps come up some around here, and thought I'd see if the way the guy described would be effective.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I would be worried about running cold water through an engine even if it was started cold . That is the old school way to flush a motor .

6speedsd

Reaction score
What's the down side of the cold water? Other than it just never letting the engine get up to operating temps with the constant cold water running through it. I mean it's not like I'm throwing cold water into a hot engine... I could see that going bad. But a cold engine start.... what are the risks?

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I have done what you speak of to every Gasser I have owned. Honda, Jeep, Chevy, Mitsubishi, & Hyundai just to name a few. Not 100% sure about how it would effect a diesel, but I would think that if it was properly filled afterwards with correct coolant using a Vacuum & Fill system to eliminate air pockets you would be OK.

birdmayon

Reaction score
I did my last flush this way. I actually did the refill, run, dump method until I had relatively clear water so that I could capture and recycle the old coolant, then put a hose in the degas and opened the drain on the bottom of the radiator and let it rip on the driveway. Don't forget to turn all your heaters on to get it through the heater core and lines too. Once you are happy with the clean water coming out, flush with gallons of distilled (I think I did 30 gallons or something), drain after your last flush and refill with 100% coolant (the system will be ~ half full with distilled after your last drain, so this will give it a 50/50 mix). Good to go.

Latest posts

Members online