WTS/WIF light flash and stall issue

Southtexasidi

Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 F350 6.0 6speed. Truck has 260k on it, but the previous owner seems to have taken good care of the truck. It is pretty much stock with the exeption of a sinister diesel coolant filter, and the blue spring mod. The truck ran great on the way home, but the next day I started having an issue that needs to be addressed.

The problem: I am experiencing an intermittent stumble, stall, or loss of power when I try to accelerate when the truck is cold. When the truck does this stumble, the WTS and WIF light flash. I lose all throttle control and it acts as if you turned the key off. Then it will pick back up and run perfectly. It did it once where the truck completely died and was hard to start back up. The issue seems to go away when the engine reaches operating temp.

I did some reasearch on the issue and found that there is actually a TSB out for 2003-2004 6.0's explaining that some may have harness chaffing issues, which is exactly what the issue seems like to me (shorting harness). I could be wrong. I hooked up auto enginuitiy to it and found it had a code for glow plug #8 circuit. I did a quick visual inspection of the GP harness and did not see anything out of the ordinary, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to change both sides harnesses? I don't want to just throw parts at it but I know wiring issues can be hard to track down.

For troubleshooting purposes the truck has 2 new batteries in it and no other know electrical problems. If anyone has had this issue could you tell me what you found was wrong with it please. I only found a few threads about this issue on Google, so any help is appreciated, thanks

Latest posts

Members online