Y-Pipe Removal. Rookie Question.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Does the heat shield need to come off to pull the stock y-pipe? What about the down pipe?

I searched Google and no one mentions the heat shield. The Ford procedure says pull it. Along with the down pipe. I'm lazy. Dont wanna if I dont hafta.:pointlaugh:

I'm just about ready to get after the y-pipe. I'd like to be mentally prepared for what is ahead. Left to my own devices I have a tendancy to make these things harder than they need to be. :doh:

STROKER

Reaction score
You have to pull the heat shield off to pull y-pipe its kind of a pain to reach the bolts on the back. Also easiest way to unbolt it from the manifold is by pulling the fender wells off.

davey99ps

Reaction score
There's 2 bolts behind the heat sheild if its the same 1 I'm thinking of, an I was able to get to them with a few extensions an a swivel socket from underneath the truck. I never completely pulled the y-pipe though, so you might wanna wait for someone more knowledgeable than me

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
You have to pull the heat shield off to pull y-pipe its kind of a pain to reach the bolts on the back. Also easiest way to unbolt it from the manifold is by pulling the fender wells off.
Are you saying pull them both? I've got the pass. side out. I wasn't sure if I needed to pull the drivers side or not. For some reason I've been thinking I could get the drivers side from underneath. Either way looks like a PITA.

There's 2 bolts behind the heat sheild if its the same 1 I'm thinking of, an I was able to get to them with a few extensions an a swivel socket from underneath the truck. I never completely pulled the y-pipe though, so you might wanna wait for someone more knowledgeable than me
Yea, I spotted those two from underneath. That's why I asked. They don't look fun. To add to it, with my truck being lifted it makes it a pretty long reach. The trucks not tall enough for me to sit up but not low enough to lay down and get to it. Factor in my long limbs and body and it makes for quite an awkward position.

Thanks for the input guys!

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
wait...there are two separate heat shield parts. are you talking about the big one in the back of the motor or the smaller one on top by the driver side uppipe?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Heat shield or down pipe dont need to be removed.
LOL. Now you tell me.

wait...there are two separate heat shield parts. are you talking about the big one in the back of the motor or the smaller one on top by the driver side uppipe?
I was talking about the big one held in by 2 8mm and 1 13 mm bolts. I bit the bullet and pulled it before I unblolted the Y. It was a bunch easier than it looked. I went from the top on all three.

I also ended up pulling the drivers side manifold to uppipe bolts from underneath. That was certainly not the easiest position to hold myself in order to reach the upper bolt. That was probably the only time I wish my truck was stock height.

Thanks for all the input guys. I had this built up to be a wayyy bigger PITA than it really was.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
ok...i was thinking about the smaller piece on top by the drivers side uppipe. when I took my uppipes out, it left the big one in back in place but had to take out the smaller one on top.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

either one. 03-04 have heat shields on the y pipe,and have that shield bolted to the hpop cover and head.

05 and up have one shield bolted to the hpop and head. no shields on y pipe.

all i do on the 05s is bend the shield down to remove the y pipe. then bend it back up. just remove the ficm and bring the y pipe out.

Reaction score
when i do them i remove the 4 bolts holding them to the manifolds,turbo,ficm,air filter,coolant bottle,pedistal and the rear ficm bracket and it will pull out the top with a little twisting.some you have to tweak the heat shield a little .last set took me 45mins start to finish

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
either one. 03-04 have heat shields on the y pipe,and have that shield bolted to the hpop cover and head.

05 and up have one shield bolted to the hpop and head. no shields on y pipe.

all i do on the 05s is bend the shield down to remove the y pipe. then bend it back up. just remove the ficm and bring the y pipe out.

yeah i took the top one off but bent it putting it back on. if I would have known it would have bent so easily, I would have left the stupid thing on!:fustrate:

Latest posts

Members online