Yet another cooler

6speedsd

Reaction score
What causes some 6.0's to apparently have a healthy appetite for oil coolers? I need another one...this will make #3 in two years. Truck needed one when I bought it, and put #2 in it about a year ago. Truck also had one replaced under warranty by the PO, and who knows if one was replaced from the time warranty was out until I bought it. Both times I've flushed the hell out of the system. Ended up with clear water both times. Used no tap water...nothing but distilled. It's had a coolant filter on it since cooler #2. Checked the temps the other day....65mph cruise set on flat ground, ECT 191 EOT 232. Checked my oil temp sensor on a cold engine and it's reading fine...nothing crazy there.

I had to replace my degas tank a few weeks ago because of a crack. Noticed the port that the hose from the intake goes to had been squirted full of RTV by the PO for whatever reason. Would that have restricted the overall flow of coolant enough to cause any issues with the cooler? Those temps were checked after the new tank went on. Been running Zerex G05 coolant since the first cooler was installed. I'd love to splurge for a BPD remote kit, but just can't justify $1500-1700 right now for one. Just bought a new house and haven't even made it to closing yet! Plenty of other things to spend money on here very soon.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I know it sucks man. My first 6.0 wanted it's second cooler in 6 months. My current 6.0 on it's 3 month cooler has 8* deltas now.

I heard a rumor that international or ford changed up the coolers to whew they plug up faster. I helped installed a used bpd oil cooler delete on my sisters ex and it works great. Unless you can find a used one somewhere the new price is hard to bite at 2300$. I was gonna try the mpd delete kit when mine decides to clog up.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Just one of those things you have to deal with owning a 6.0. Its really not a bad job, just kinda ****ty how quickly they go out. All you can do is keep clean, filtered coolant and clean oil in the truck.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'm religious with maintenance in this truck. An yea it's not the job itself that sucks. I can almost do it now with my eyes closed. 2 so far on this one and one in my old 04. Told my dad the other day I should be this good and working on a 6.0 considering I learned it all as I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csilva187

Reaction score
Try Steve's delta kit deal? I'm sure you've seen his thread on Absolutes link. Maybe elc next go around? Just thoughts.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Planned on going with Steve's kit in the very near future. And elc is probably what's going back in there this time. Maybe that GO5 isn't working out.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea I know. This one a year crap is getting old though. Just seems like some 6.0's are worse than others. My dads 03 has only had one put on it. Temps are still within 8-9 degrees on the hottest days. And his truck has had a trailer behind it the majority of it's life, and very poor maintenence to boot.

Seven.Three81

Reaction score
EGR Delete nuff said 1 626-926-5900 these guys make the best bolt on delete. Billet aluminum no coolent return lines one piece an done

97 7.3 ATS diesel

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
If your still running gold coolant and still have an egr cooler then the coolant is your problem. the gold coolant is silicone base. the egr burns the silicone in the coolant and turns it into crystals and clogs the oil cooler up. Best thing to do is to run ecl or delete your egr cooler. If it was me personally I'd run the ecl coolant and just turn the egr valve off with a programmer. hope this helps

Lassie

Reaction score
If your still running gold coolant and still have an egr cooler then the coolant is your problem. the gold coolant is silicone base. the egr burns the silicone in the coolant and turns it into crystals and clogs the oil cooler up. Best thing to do is to run ecl or delete your egr cooler. If it was me personally I'd run the ecl coolant and just turn the egr valve off with a programmer. hope this helps

I agree with this. Once the cooler is deleted, you shouldn't be plugging oil coolers. I've not seen one come back with a clogged cooler yet, and I use Motorcraft Gold. One of my personal 6.0s has 140k on oil cooler and it doesn't break a 7 delta.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Truck has had an egr delete since day one, and has had a coolant filter on it for the past 50k. This is what has me confused. I have no reason to be clogging coolers....there shouldn't be anything in there to keep clogging the damn thing. Zerex G05 since I bought it as well. I've flushed with Restore and Z09 both previous flushes. Just doesn't make any sense.

webb06

Reaction score
We've been having this trouble after replacing oil coolers as well. Trucks still showing 8-10 on degrees high on the deltas.

Lassie

Reaction score
The line you said was full of RTV is the de-aeration point. Why would he do this?

I wonder if you're pump was cavitating and has a damaged impellar. You may just be seeing it at the oil cooler first before anywhere else. I'd definitely check out the pump and maybe a new EOT before oil cooler number 4.

6speedsd

Reaction score
EOT sensor is working I think. Cold engine it's reading about what ECT sensor is showing. Is it possible it's reading off in the upper ranges but not in the lower?

I don't have a problem with 8-10 degrees. This one runs that immediately after each new cooler. Steve's delta kit will take care of that. But 35-40 degrees? Something ain't right!

Not sure why the guy stuffed it full of RTV. I know I had a slight coolant leak in my upper heater hose where the coolant filter line attached. Couldn't get it to stop for anything...replaced hose, double clamps, etc. found that plugged port...cleaned it out and no more leak. You can't ever tell why people do what they do to their vehicles.

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Same issue here motor eats coolers up! Had a cooler only last about 2500 miles. Put on coolant filter a while back. (3) filters changed so far and all 3 look the same when I cut them open, Tons of casting sand/sediment in the filters. I've used nothing but oem coolers. Is there a better cooler to use other than the oem cooler and going to the BPD kit?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I had one truck do this to me. I finally condemned his engine. After eating two jobs replacing the coolers, I said the block is rusting internally and there is nothing we can do about it. All steps were taken, vc9, distilled water, blah blah blah. When it came down to it, the block just kept rusting out, probably will be a victim to cavitation one of these days and start eroding cylinders.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.