Zerex G-05 elc?

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Been searching some older threads and found a variety of answers.

Found Zerex G-05 coolant locally, and cheap. I read not to use it and only coolants that are elc certified.

I looked at the pdf information and found it is cat elc certified.

Am I missing something here? Did they update their coolant over the factory coolant equivalent?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
That's what's generally reccomended for the later model dodge gasser stuff and I believe later model Cummins. Not sure how it would work in a Powerstroke..

Personally, the CAT ELC is well known for a good replacement coolant in the PSD's and if i remember right isn't much different in price versus the G-05. I do know that most of the part's houses you can get the fleet final charge and that seems to be just as good as the CAT ELC. It's pretty spend stuff though.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
I've found Cat full strength to be at 23 a gallon that I can have delivered to my work place with a business discount. And the g05 at 10 a gallon (which caught my attention, then noticed the cat elc rating)

It has had coolant flush around 10,000 to 13,000 miles ago and the delta is 6 to 7 degrees. Going to get a new oil cooler and egr delete.

Safe to drop "old" coolant and put the new elc straight in?

Thought it would be ultra convenient to just drop the elc right in with no complete flush again. Which is why I felt safe with the g5 zerex after seeing the elc rating.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty spendy for the ELC. LOL It's cheaper in these parts.

I wouldn't re-use coolant unless it's a last resort. I tend always flush when doing anything more than a t-stat or radiator hose change (even then I don't re-use coolant). As far as if it will work, it's hard to say. Never messed with the G0-5. I just know who usually uses it. I'd presume it would work your application if your using G0-5 already. I don't like mixing coolants personally. Even universals I question when mixing with specific coolants like G0-5 and some of the other coolants that are out there.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
I searched within a 50 mile radius lol all within a dollar or two. Drooled when I saw it on the flyer, till I saw the price.

I wasn't going to reuse the old coolant. Drop the 15,000 mile coolant and replace it with elc without a flush. Thinking with the g05 being cat elc it wouldn't be considered mixing coolant

Possibly do a distilled water flush and dump in the coolant?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'd flush it if your changing coolants. I'm a big anal about that stuff. LOL

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Just one question on how to proceed on this matter.

Doing studs, egr delete, oil cooler, hg, etc... in February. It doesn't make sense to spend money for coolant, then lose it when doing studs and oil cooler. Then not be aware of the ratio

renegade

Reaction score
Just checked the Zerex web site and a bottle of GO5 I have and could NOT find any reference to the CAT EC-1 spec. I don't think it is an EC-1 ELC antifreeze.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Here is what I found on their site. I could be wrong, don't have a bottle in front of me. Just what's locally available in full concentrate.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419036559255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419036559255.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 65

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Just one question on how to proceed on this matter.

Doing studs, egr delete, oil cooler, hg, etc... in February. It doesn't make sense to spend money for coolant, then lose it when doing studs and oil cooler. Then not be aware of the ratio

I'd just wait and do it all at the same time. Do the oil cooler and egr delete while the cab is up and heads off. It'll make it much easier and only have to pay once for coolant. Since Feb isn't too far away. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online