ZF5/6 with high hp

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Thinking about swaping to a stick for pulling and wanting to know how these things hold up to high hp and who offers a clutch to hold it. Im hoping to be 800+

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I used to have a zf-6, and I looked into it a while back. At the time a good rebuild with a billet output shaft and a good double disk clutch was the tops IIRC.

I was more intrigued by drag racing vs pulling so an auto was swapped in.

How come a stick ? Cant you do what you need with a built auto ?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
A stick in a puller just seems logical. If there was an edge to an auto then you would see a lot more guys runing them. Another reason for the stick is I just cant get off the line how I would like. The truck just pushes through the brakes as soon as it starts to build any boost, and the rear brakes are adjusted super tight.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
The same way all the cummins guys do and the rest of the people with a stick, run it up to 5500-6k and slip the clutch out.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I suppose. Couldn't you just go with a looser converter ?

The cummins guys run 55-6k but can a PSD run there and be usefull ? Or you just plan on free revving it and then slipping the clutch down to say 35-4500 ?

What gear would you launch in ? 4lo and 3rd ?

In my head wouldnt building boost on the line be more effective ? as well as the ability to shift ?

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Standard trans with a Dual or triple disk clutch would work really well imo I dont see any harm in getting rid of the auto. Havent really seen a whole lot of zf6's pull in person, but I have seen the zf5's put through some rough crap. I bet zf6 would hold up fine.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Zf-6 in my truck. I make around 650 and I do pull with it some. Its a all stock trans. running a southbend DD. I sell a lot of manual trans trucks and you very rarely tear one of them up. They will take a ton of abuse without putting much money into them. Beans cummins pullin truck runs a zf-6 as well as dieselfever on here. He is somewhere in the power range you are talking about. If it is a dedicated puller you might look into one of the iron disk clutches.

Last edited:

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
There are a few 1000+ hp P-pumped 7.3's running ZF-6's so I would think you'd be fine. Also there is the Zf-6's behind Duramax's running 900+hp

Thats what I thought but I know some of the p pumped trucks are going with a drop box/reverser. What are the guys 1000+ using for a clutch because I doubt your off the shelf sbdd 3850 is going to hold.

JD3020

Reaction score
Thats what I thought but I know some of the p pumped trucks are going with a drop box/reverser. What are the guys 1000+ using for a clutch because I doubt your off the shelf sbdd 3850 is going to hold.

It seems like people around here talk about Haisley Machine pulling clutches a lot, but they are also pretty close to here so that helps some. LOL

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
if a dedicated pulling truck I would go with a 2wd zf6 with a divorced drop box. This is exactly what I am going to be running in my pulling truck. The 2wd zf6 is easier to find and cheaper. The drop box gives you the option of quick change gear ratios and it is stronger than a transfer case.

Combine the 6 gears in the zf6 along with the drop box gear combinations and you can set whatever gear ratio that you want. Also gives you the option to use lower or higher gears when motoring around the pits or loading/unloading on a trailer.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score

actually roy(craneman) said they were using a 3850 so it wouldnt grab super hard but couldn last long. i like my comp puller and think the zf5 would hold fine, at least i hope:naughty:.

Reaction score
3850 sintered iron dual disc or triple disc. Haven't checked to see if a triple disc is available, but if it is I'd run it for what your doing. I don't think a triple is available for the ZF5, but it might be for a ZF6.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I cant run a drop box due to rules, it has to be a 1 ton or smaller drive line. I have actually talked a lot with Roy and thats what he told me, the 3850's dont last long. I also thought about a nv4500 using an adapter plate but would prefer a somewhat "bolt on" trans like zf.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Mine's a Southbend 4200 with solid sintered iron discs. Suppose to have the input shaft cryo'd according to House. I put ~35 hooks on it last year and didn't break anything, but with ~55 on the clutch I think it is ready for a trip back to SBC here soon.

-Michael

pontiacross

Reaction score
I havent had any issues with the stock zf5 in my truck. I have been through a couple sbc dual disk clutchs but the last one has 2 and a half seasons on it. I think its a 3850 ceramic. last time I talked to south bend they said the tripple disks wont fit in the zf5's but that was a couple years ago

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.