ZF6 Fluid

Rob D

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been researching this for the last hour or so - so I am well aware that there are plenty of threads on this topic all over the internet. However - from all I read...I could not produce a general consensus on one best product. Usually if you do enough poking around, certain brands show up repetitively across the boards and you can get a comfort level with knowing most guys generally agree. My conclusion is that there are a lot of different products which can be run in the ZF6 from ATF to MTF, blends, additives, combinations etc. A lot of guys run different fluids and have fine results. With that said a lot of guys live all over the country and warmer climates do not have the same concerns as we do up north. Anyway, it doesn't seem like any one answer is right; especially considering Ford has switched from recommended ATF to now MTF.

With that said - I am looking for guys who have tried running multiple different fluids and or combos; and if the added cost for going from something like a standard synthetic merc 5 ATF like Mobil 1, to a more expensive brand like Amsoil or Redline was worth the added cost. I live in New England so cold shift performance is important.

Not looking for the "whats the best product" as again, I do not think any one exists - more just what the benefits were to going with a more exotic brand and if the changes were that noticeable for anyone who did them. My transmission has no issues now (when really cold the 1-2 shift will grind but only on the first shift). The only reason I am changing out fluid is because I bought the truck a couple weeks ago and have no clue when the last time was it was serviced.

I am leaning on going with Amsoil MTF 5W-30. Seems closes to ATF, but is a little thicker to help out grabbing gears.

Thanks gents - Rob

Last edited:

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I have an 02 and I want to change my oil in mine and have been wondering if I should go to a MTF. I don't use mine much in the winter so cold shifts are not my concern. It lives on a horse trailer so I want load protection. Mine has the cooler and pump and I am installing a dieselsite filter kit.

Latest posts

Members online