Zf6 issue

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I down shifted my truck yesterday from 3rd to 2nd and when letting off the clutch the transmission popped. I came to a stop. Couldn't get it in to any other gear. I put the truck in to 4 low and tried to move it. It appears to be stuck in 3rd gear regardless of where the shifter is positioned. Not sure what's wrong with it. Is this enough info for someone to tell me what they think?

I found a shop that will rebuild it. I just need to order the parts. Not sure what to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything except a bearing kit, not before they have it apart and can tell you what's bad.
I had a almost similar thing happen. Mine was caused by a pto unit having the wrong gear lash. Wiped out damn near every gear. Input shaft was all torn up.
Unlike the dodges, I haven't heard of shifter issues with the zf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. This transmission only has like 45k miles on it. Hadn't had any issues until this slapped me out of no where.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Austen

Reaction score
I had the actual shifter snap off the stub shaft on mine once. Removed the boot and drove it home using the stub shaft to shift. Could only grab 3-4 gear but put the transfer case in low and limped it home. There's an updated stronger, cast design the shop replaced it with. Other than that issue, haven't had any issues with the trans in particular. Replaced the clutch lever linkage with the a heim joint.