2006 f250 rust on roof

jonnysteals

Reaction score
I have a 2006 f250 which my warranty expired on a few months ago. I was on my porch the other day and I noticed that in the channels on my roof the paint was peeling and bubbling from rusting underneth. It seems that the drivers side is worse than the passenger side. My uncle has a 2000 superduty and his is rusted through in that exact spot. I was wondering did anyone every have this happen to their roof? Trying to fix this before I get rained on inside my truck.

No in regaurds to my truck should I grind down the rust bubbles and paint it with that rust convertor paint? I would then get some factory paint on top of that. I really dont care how it looks up there but more worried about stopping it from getting any worse. You think scraping the rust bubbles off would do more harm then good? Any ideal what a body man would do?

scott2001

Reaction score
i not able to see how bad it is, pics owuld be nice

I was going to suggest trying to clay bar it. But the way you say it is, its bad enought to need sanded down and repainted,

If you do this yourself go to the paint store they can color match you some of your paint code in a spray can for like 20 bucks.

And dont forget the clear coat in a can as well.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
I will get pics when I get home from work. Yea I painted a few cars but more worried about how to deal with the rust more than anything. I am almost tempted to sand blast it but I think that will do way more harm than good. I will probably just wire wheel it and paint it with the rust coverter paint. then coat that with my trucks paint color and clear.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Before anything, try calling your local Ford dealer. An ex of mine's mom had some paint issues on the top of a f150 that was a few years out of warranty and they re-painted it for her for free. It was a 2001 and i think they repainted it in 2007. I want to say the paint warranty goes longer than the rest or something. Worth a shot.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
not covered its a five year paint corrosion warranty. I may complain to ford directly to see if maybe that will help. If theat doesnt help I prolly will just fix it myself

TripleE44

Reaction score
I'd complain for sure... That warranty would only be a few months out if that. Maybe try telling them you noticed it earlier but weren't aware that you could get that covered outside of the 3yr/36k miles thing.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
especially when I upgraded my bumper to bumper warranty from 3/36K to 5/100K. Stupid thing just expired

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Raise hell with Ford , this is a problem thats been there fault for 20 + years . They put seam sealer on incorrectly pepped metal and it rust from the metal out . The broncos and F150 's of the 80's and 90's and the explorers of the 90's and 2000's where all bad about this . I have repaired a dozen or so in my little circle of friends over the last few years and seen 100's like this over a 20 year period .

Mdub707

Reaction score
I have rust around my cab lights on my 06, been there for a while. The bottoms of my doors are also rusting out. My warranty runs out end of this month for the 5yr 100k... it's at the dealer now, should I say something? I didn't know paint would be covered!?

TripleE44

Reaction score
So your less than 5 year old truck is rusting and you want to know if you should get it warrantied??? I mean maybe that's more common up north, but I'd be driving my truck into the showroom if that was mine at under 5 years.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
Yes say something. my dealer basically said unless theres a hole they dont care. Whats the worse they say sorry its not covered. I forgot to take pictures. I was beat after work

My truck lives in a very harsh environment. My house is beach block(less than 200 feet from the ocean) and I can see the beach from my house. This means my truck sits in the salt air all day. Then in the winter NJ puts so much salt on the roads when it snows. I have a house offshore and I spray my tractor down with fluid film. This helps prevent rusting and I guess I should of done my truck as well. Oh well you live and learn

Last edited:

florida 6.0

Reaction score
We wire wheeled the seam sealer off, d.a.'ed it down to bear metal , shot it with self etching primer .Then re seam sealed the body joints and repainted the roof .

Mdub707

Reaction score
So your less than 5 year old truck is rusting and you want to know if you should get it warrantied??? I mean maybe that's more common up north, but I'd be driving my truck into the showroom if that was mine at under 5 years.

Welcome to the Northeast. My truck basically lived on the thruway travelling in salt/slush/crap for the last 5 years. The cab light happened a while ago, and I just wrote that off as it being a cab light, definitely not the first time I've seen that happen, but the doors I was extremely disappointed with.

Even still, companies that do have corrosion warranties usually have something that says it needs to be full on rot, if it's just paint chipping and surface rust, then they don't do anything. Kind of why I was asking in here. I was unaware Ford even had a corrosion protection plan. Their paint has been crap for years. All of my rangers had paint peel off and fall off the truck, without any rust even behind it.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
Ford corp told me take it to get fixed at a dealer but it won't be covered. I have pics but can't access Photobucket from work. I can email them to someone if you can host them for me please.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
Heres pics of my rust. ANy ideal on how to fix this is appreciated

rust2.jpg

rust1.jpg

Foreverloved22

Reaction score
I know it has been a while since this thread was posted but I am now having the same issue with my 05 f350. I spoke with Ford today and they told me if I can prove that this is not an uncommon issue Or Ford defect I should be able to win and have them fix it for me. I'm going to start a new thread and post pictures. If I get enough feedback I might be able to convince them I'm right and may even get others compensated for the paint work they had to have done. Thanks.

pattbr99

Reaction score
20220903_151228.jpg

Attachments

• 20220903_151242.jpg
    20220903_151242.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220929_122819.jpg
    20220929_122819.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220903_151238.jpg
    20220903_151238.jpg