2wd excursion suspension upgrades

psduser1

Reaction score
I've done a couple of 4x4s, never messed with the 2x s.
The last excursion got ctperformance's setup, and I was really happy with the handling. I called Cary, and he couldn't really offer much advice with the 2x setup, so I'm looking for advice.
The rear is pretty straightforward, I think, swaybar, heavier springs, and a good set of shocks.
My question is about the frontend. I don't really know what's available for coilsprings/bushings etc. Any advantage to later model trailing arms? Can you add a swaybar in the front? I've never has a 2wd truck, lol.
I mean yeah, a full on Kelderman air ride setup is cool, but I really would like to maintain stockish ride height and appearance. As well as not looking to drop thousands into a grocery getter, lol.
Open to suggestions, tia.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I have a 2WD also. There's 2 part #s for front coils for 2X Superduty trucks. I put a set of the standard on mine. Same height but 1 less coil, so somewhat stiffer. Ended up at the same ride height as stock but firmer ride.
I put F codes in the rear since I tow a heavy trailer frequently. Ended up 1" higher in the rear. You could take the overload off and end up at stock height, I've just been lazy and haven't done it yet.
I also put on F350 shocks to match the springs. I went with Ranchos, which I think are too harsh. Otherwise, the ride and handling are GREATLY improved. Much more controlled and less boat like.

psduser1

Reaction score
Any idea what the weight ratings were on the coil springs? Any difference in ride height between them?
And we're those oe springs, or aftermarket?
I wouldn't mind a couple inches taller, just don't want to go to a 6 inch lift or anything like that. I have a 4x4 that is a bit too tall for kids/wife/groceries. That is the whole point of selling the 4x, lol.
Did you add any swaybars?

fastersteve

Reaction score
Oe springs. I don't think there was a weight rating since there was only the 2 part numbers. Standard or Heavy duty-which is F450/F550. I expect those would raise it an inch or two but can't say for sure.
I had added the Hellwig rear bar already, kept the stock front bar.

I knew a guy who added one of those giant Road Armor brushguard bumpers to his truck which made the front squat. The H/D springs picked it back up..

psduser1

Reaction score
So I've talked to several spring shops and retailers, basically all that is available for the front is stock springs, in various weight ratings, or, aftermarket, is minimum four inch lift.
Internet says ford wanted 2x s to all have roughly the same curb height, so a higher spring rate only gains about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, max.
The spindle has interference issues, as well as maintaining camber with the stock adjusters. The aftermarket kits get you drop brackets and a taller compressed height, which keeps stockish camber adjustments.
The only option I think for my setup is a heavier spring and better shock, and possibly, a one inch coil spacer, depending on clearance between spindle and knuckle.
Apparently Napa sells aftermarket camber adjustment sleeves with more adjustment than stock, if I go that route, and need more adjustment with a coil spring spacer.
I've got a set of z and c code springs coming from lincolnlocker, with a bit of messing around, I'm sure I can get this truck where I want it without buying an aftermarket setup. I'll try to remember to update with pics when I'm done.