4r100 issues after rebuild

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
The problem I am haveing is a shift flare on the 3-4 shift. I did a rebuild with a PATC level 4 enforcer kit with the billet triple disc and a tugger hd2 kit. I have been working with Tony at TDP on this issue. At this point in time I dont know if it is a trans issue or tune issue. The converter is locking in third before the shift and staying locked thru the shift and this has cut the flare down to only a 1sec delay the Rpms go up about 500 rpm and them it does shift and come back down. Any help would be great. Thanks

Blowby

Reaction score
You have a Parameter for "Converter Lockup Delay" for each gear change and a 4th gear converter lock based on MPH Function. Reduce the value for the 3-4 shift and drop 4th gear speed on Converter Lock and report back.

Last edited:

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
You have a Parameter for "Converter Lockup Delay" for each gear change and a 4th gear converter lock based on MPH Function. Reduce the value for the 3-4 shift and drop 4th gear speed on Converter Lock and report back.
I had my solus hooked up to truck and the converter locks in third and stays locked. The flare happens with the converter locked and at the 3-4 shift . Thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The transmission can't flare on a 3-4 shift. All that happens on a 3-4 shift is that the overdrive clutch applies. That can't create a flare. The way a flare can happen is if the torque converter slips during the shift. That can happen from a dip in line pressure, or the tune releasing the clutch for part of a second.

Have you verified that slip across the converter remains at zero during the shift?

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
The scanner shows 0 slippage and the sol stays on. Before recent tune update the converter would release slightly and had a two second slip. Now with the updated tune it doesn't release converter and the slip is less than a second now. I will hook up line pressure gauge and see what the pressure drop might be. Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will report back.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
did you try what he suggested?

live life full throttle
I am still waiting on my Minotaur software with quarterhorse also to come in. I have used the Sniper in the past for tuning but had sold all my stuff. I just get tired of waiting on the tuner guys to make the small changes and send back to me. I mentioned the changes to the tuner and he said he would get back to me with a change (two days ago) but nothing yet.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I am still waiting on my Minotaur software with quarterhorse also to come in. I have used the Sniper in the past for tuning but had sold all my stuff. I just get tired of waiting on the tuner guys to make the small changes and send back to me. I mentioned the changes to the tuner and he said he would get back to me with a change (two days ago) but nothing yet.
Ahhh 10-4

live life full throttle

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
I did some more testing today. I havent been able to make any changes to tune yet, but have some more info. I hooked up line pressure gauge and with current tune the pressure is as follows: idle P=90psi R=135 D=90 2=90
1=110. I test drove with gauge hooked up and the converter locked about 40mph in 3 and stayed locked thru the 3-4 shift. The 3-4 shift area is where it starts to act funnny. Under light very light throttle it shifts somewhat ok not perfect. The 3-4 shift at 1/2 pedal it the converter is locked and stays locked but on the shift the line pressure drops a little and it acts like it the converter is locking and unlocking two or three times before it calms down to normal. The line pressure is bouncing while this is going on also. The line pressure is at 120psi and goes down to 90 or a 100psi while this is going on. What could be causing the pressure change when the converterstill shows lock according to the tcc and show 100% locked also. Thanks This is the wife truck by the way so shes not happy right now. We have two truck built pretty close, I just havent had any tranny problems yet with mine..Thanks again.

Last edited:

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Spit balls here, but if my understand was correct, the new 4R100s had a PWM solenoid pack that 'pulsed' the converter lock up. Ford stated too many customers complained about harsh shifts and therefore 'designed' slippage into the locking and unlocking of the converter. A lot of times when they get rebuilt people unintentionally install the mods that virtually eliminate this 'programming' in the valve body and pump to get the 'harsh' firm shifts. You're truck may be trying to fight this programming and thats the 'flare' you feel...

Swaan

Reaction score
I second this. There is two types of selnoid packs. Non pwm and pwm

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
I second this. There is two types of selnoid packs. Non pwm and pwm
I have a PWN in it now. The place I ordered parts from sent the non pwm and I had to take pan offback off after running it and put the pwm in it.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
Okay. How did it shift when you had the non pwm pack??
Horrible. It would lock up real fast and spin tires in third when locking converter. We adusting pressures to no avail. I swapped to the pwm and it locks good. Im hoping when I get my Software in i can fine tune the weird shift out with a little live tuning with the quarterhorse I have now.

Swaan

Reaction score
Mmmmmmm
Okay well then I guess that's been ruled out.

If you can't seem to get it dialed in with tuning I would drop pan and valve body. Have a good look at the overdrive spool valve. Make sure it's not hanging up. Could even change the spring rate behind the spool valve to make it shift faster.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
Still waiting on PHP to send my Minotaur registration so I can start fixing tunes. You spend a 1000 bucks and have to wait two weeks for something and still dont have anything but the chip. I cant tune the chip because no software. SO NO UPDATES YET. I will update when I have more info.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
Update. Changed the shift point for 4 down and converter locks in 3 and stays locked for the 4 shift. Still same issue. Changed torque reduction table for the 3-4 shift down and up and all around. All is still the same. Thanks for any help.

Swaan

Reaction score
My guess is it's not on the electronic side. You keep playing with tuning.
It's in the hard parts side. Spool valve in the valve body or spring issue behind spool valve.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
My guess is it's not on the electronic side. You keep playing with tuning.
It's in the hard parts side. Spool valve in the valve body or spring issue behind spool valve.
I just ordered a sonnax 427 to see if it helps. It does drop line pressure a little on the shift. I can't find anything in program to coincide with a line pressure drop command. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online