6.0 Glow plug issue

TheIndiana6.0

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 05 f350 lariat here new to the whole 6.0 game. My truck was becoming hard to start in the mornings, and often the batteries would go dead while cranking when it was under 30 degrees. Pulled the codes and it was throwing a glow plug control module code, so i replaced the module and now it shows glow plugs 1,3,5,7 arent functioning properly. If im correct, cylinder 1 3 5 and 7 are all on the passenger side. Could the harness be bad? Figured it would be kind of unusual for all of them to be bad on just one side. Any help would be appreciated.

CJunkie

Reaction score
Try reconnecting the square plugs on the control module. You gotta really push them in there for them to seat properly.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everyone, 05 f350 lariat here new to the whole 6.0 game. My truck was becoming hard to start in the mornings, and often the batteries would go dead while cranking when it was under 30 degrees. Pulled the codes and it was throwing a glow plug control module code, so i replaced the module and now it shows glow plugs 1,3,5,7 arent functioning properly. If im correct, cylinder 1 3 5 and 7 are all on the passenger side. Could the harness be bad? Figured it would be kind of unusual for all of them to be bad on just one side. Any help would be appreciated.

So they those cylinders where fine before you replaced the first modules and now they are not? That's odd. Like @CJunkie said, make sure the plugs are on tight before you do anything else.

Also, welcome to the forum! Post pics of your truck and also post more pics of that car you have in your avatar! ;)

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The rubber grommet internal to the green and black connector likes to fold over and then makes the connector not seat, also the lock breaks.

If it's plugged in good and tight then go to the go harness and ohm out the glow plugs through there. Should be single digit ohms through there. Any OL or very high ohms means bad glow plugs.

Have also see the glow plug harness pop out, especially the older bar style which you may have.

TheIndiana6.0

Reaction score
Update: I unplugged the black and green plugs and made sure the seals were good, plugged them back in till they clicked. Still not wanting to start and blowing out white smoke and chugging, also still throwing the codes for glow plugs 1357. probably just going to buy all new plugs and harnesses, they are still factory with almost 200k on them, never replaced. Going to see if that fixes my probem,will keep you guys updated and going to post some pics of my truck tonight.

bismic

Reaction score
Update: I unplugged the black and green plugs and made sure the seals were good, plugged them back in till they clicked. Still not wanting to start and blowing out white smoke and chugging, also still throwing the codes for glow plugs 1357. probably just going to buy all new plugs and harnesses, they are still factory with almost 200k on them, never replaced. Going to see if that fixes my problem,will keep you guys updated and going to post some pics of my truck tonight.

Sometimes the pins get pushed in on the glow plug connector at the GPCM. That said, the issue could also be the GPCM itself,

Cold Roller

Reaction score
Having just fixed a similar issue (identical) that didn't code initially (on 2,4,6,8), I replaced the GPCM and all is well. Before it coded, I checked the resistance from the plug to ground and all were 1.1 ohm (good 0.5<>1.9 ohm), so I knew each GP and the wiring to the GPCM was good. Just before getting the new module it coded, confirming the diagnosis.

Being that it seems you did everything correctly, test the 4 glow plugs from the harness. If they test "pass", it is more than likely that the GPCM you subbed in was bad as well; or, did you grab the first one, thinking it was the new/reman/recycled one? If you have AE or IDS, you can run a glow plug system diagnostic that will tell you what you kind of already know - the GPCM is probably bad. It is highly unlikely all 4 GPs go out at the same time, unless the harness is severly damaged or cut.