Better mpg with SPE Hot tune vs H&S Performance tune?

colecoop56

Reaction score
Is everyone getting that much better mpg with the SPE? I have the H&S tunes now and I do not mind them. Im not trying to make this the fastest truck in the world like I always wanted to do with my old truck. But is it worth it to get the SPE Tune? I drive a good bit in traffic and in the city and the transmission shifting kind of scares me with the SPE but I wouldnt mind the extra power and mpg if it is that much better. Let me know what yall thoughts are on it.

Thanks,

Cole

SPE

Reaction score
Is everyone getting that much better mpg with the SPE? I have the H&S tunes now and I do not mind them. Im not trying to make this the fastest truck in the world like I always wanted to do with my old truck. But is it worth it to get the SPE Tune? I drive a good bit in traffic and in the city and the transmission shifting kind of scares me with the SPE but I wouldnt mind the extra power and mpg if it is that much better. Let me know what yall thoughts are on it.

Thanks,

Cole

Some have said they get better, some have said they get worse so I'll let others weigh in on that. As far as the trans tuning goes, we do have an even softer transmission tune available.

colecoop56

Reaction score
Some have said they get better, some have said they get worse so I'll let others weigh in on that. As far as the trans tuning goes, we do have an even softer transmission tune available.

Is the softer transmission tune worse for the transmission? Will it cause more wear on it?

highdrum

Reaction score
Once the transmission learns the SPE programming, it actually shifts very smoothly at normal throttle positions. Now mash on the go fast pedal, and it shifts like a rock, which I like! No need to make room for slipping. As far as MPG, I live at high elevation, lots of hills, mods in sig, I am getting 14-15 running 65-80 on highway and interstate. I do have some heavy a$$ toyo MTs in 35" which killed the mileage. Before the new wheels/tires I was getting 18-19 with the stock 18s and 33s.

colecoop56

Reaction score
Once the transmission learns the SPE programming, it actually shifts very smoothly at normal throttle positions. Now mash on the go fast pedal, and it shifts like a rock, which I like! No need to make room for slipping. As far as MPG, I live at high elevation, lots of hills, mods in sig, I am getting 14-15 running 65-80 on highway and interstate. I do have some heavy a$$ toyo MTs in 35" which killed the mileage. Before the new wheels/tires I was getting 18-19 with the stock 18s and 33s.

Thanks man. Ya I am planning on getting the Toyo Mt in 35s as well and thats what I am afraid of. Did you ever run the stock h&s tunes? Can you say the SPE gave you any better mpg?

zack birge

Reaction score
Mine is gettin worse. Also will need to contact them again today due to my '13 having issues with there tuning.

SAK

Reaction score
Mine got worse milage then the h&s tuning. But it is a race file, so you have to take that into consideration

highdrum

Reaction score
I do like the trans tuning from SPE better than the H&S, and I would run it with the H&S tunes, even though most suggest you not too, it just locks everything up lower in the rpm range and in my opinion, utilizes the torque of the motor much better. I just downloaded the new H&S firmware today, tomorrow I have a 650 miles drive from Denver to NE Montana, so I will let you know how the performance tune from H&S does for mileage compared to the SPE.
Colecoop, weren't you on the cummins forum? I recognize your name from somewhere, could have been from powerstroke.org, whatever the case, I might be parting with my wheels/tires/carli starter, only has bout 5000 miles on everything, let me know if your interested.

colecoop56

Reaction score
I do like the trans tuning from SPE better than the H&S, and I would run it with the H&S tunes, even though most suggest you not too, it just locks everything up lower in the rpm range and in my opinion, utilizes the torque of the motor much better. I just downloaded the new H&S firmware today, tomorrow I have a 650 miles drive from Denver to NE Montana, so I will let you know how the performance tune from H&S does for mileage compared to the SPE.
Colecoop, weren't you on the cummins forum? I recognize your name from somewhere, could have been from powerstroke.org, whatever the case, I might be parting with my wheels/tires/carli starter, only has bout 5000 miles on everything, let me know if your interested.

I am also on powerstroke.org and I use to be on all the be duramax forums. Man I wish I could but I am planning on keeping these stock wheels for right now and I am hopefully going to be getting some toyo mts for them in the next few months. I wish I could throw out some dough for a carli kit right now though. Ya I think I have the updated H&S firmware but I am only seeing like 17.5 highway going like 75mph. I was hoping to try and get that around 19 highway and 16 or 17 around town. Im just looking for the miracle tune to get me there haha

135Hoster

Reaction score
I recently went to the SPE Hot X tune. The mileage would be better if I could keep my foot out of it. Truck is a ton more fun with their tune.

The only time I notice harsh shifts with the tranny is when the fluid is cold. Other than that the SPE Trans tuning shifts really nicely.

According to the in dash calculator, I get about 16.5mpg on the highway.

colecoop56

Reaction score
I wanna say it is worth it and to pull the trigger but I just cant decide. Im just really trying to get my truck to pulling 19 mpg highway with the stock wheels and tires i have because I know when I get some 35" toyo mts it will go down another 2 mpg highway.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
with h&s i tested on stock wheels thru multiple conditions uphill and down hill and got 18.7 . not sure what i get with spe but it feels a bit better on power but i put 35's on. shifting is ok, but its got some violent down shifting in tow haul at low speed.

colecoop56

Reaction score
Hey cole, make sure you give us some feed back on that mpg tune Dan sent ya. It may be something we start offering.

I will be posting results for sure. I installed just the regular Hot X Tune first just to see the difference and so i have something to compare my mpg tune to and it is an awesome tune. I love the feel of a truck with a custom tune coming from a duramax with EFI Live. As of now with the hot x tune around town(because thats all I have driven) seems to be 1mpg better and I am betting hwy is even better than that. I am going in a trip tomorrow and im going to see what I get with night highway and mixed driving. I will post up results

Latest posts

Members online