Broken starter cone 2005 6.0

jrex2506

Reaction score
Starter has been making a noise when cranking. Just assumed it was going bad. Went to replace it today and it was loose, bolts were in but not tight. Cone has some damage to it. How is best way to replace this? Just install new starter and hope for the best or remove the transmission and check flex plate? Its a zf6 manual btw. There is a piece of the cone i cant find.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Starter has been making a noise when cranking. Just assumed it was going bad. Went to replace it today and it was loose, bolts were in but not tight. Cone has some damage to it. How is best way to replace this? Just install new starter and hope for the best or remove the transmission and check flex plate? Its a zf6 manual btw. There is a piece of the cone i cant find.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Use a flashlight and mirror and turn the motor over by hand while checking the teeth on the flywheel. Or put the new starter in and use a bump button and the hole in the rear cover to check it. If you see any teeth that are real ****ed up, I’d replace it. You may find the piece of starter in the bottom of the bell housing/rear cover area. If you don’t find it and it doesn’t make any funny noises while running you’re probably ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online