Bullet proof oil cooler relocate kit

tyler2k

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these, i like the idea of the stock style cooling that's easier to replace if need be

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
There's a lot of people who like them but the stock one has been updated over time and you do not see many failures out of them , at least we don't and we use about 175 or so a year

tyler2k

Reaction score
I just recently bought an 03 and don't know much about it, its definitely ******d and studded but that's all i know so once i get my edge insight back i can monitor the oil temps. I'm just looking at it as an incase i have to replace it

thewrubelator

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the BPD kit..you can go through over 5 Oil Coolers and still cost less ..but like said above, the updated coolers are leaps and bounds better over the old, failure-prone ones.

tyler2k

Reaction score
Guess ill stick with what i got, i plan on doing a full system flush when it gets warmer so ill just replace the oil cooler with the new style so i know what's in it. While I'm there i might look at doing the kc 1.5 diy kit for the turbo, seems like a good upgrade for stock sticks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
What is the difference between the old oil coolers and these "updated" ones. I've seen it said before but have never seen any actual evidence of them being updated to the point of ruling them out as a concern?

I still use an OEM cooler myself, but I watch EOT and ECT constantly. For me the price was too hard to argue. The BPD kits are really nice, but definitely expensive.

tyler2k

Reaction score
From my understanding they have i think 11 cooling paths as opposed to 10, not sure if that's the only difference

Zmann

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the updated coolers are much of an improvement at all ( i have had one plug while running a coolant filter )
they still make a better coolant filter than they do an oil cooler IMO

the BPD relocate is what I run and sure it cost more than a few OEM coolers but
answer this , how much of a pain is it to do an oil cooler ? a big pain IMO
it is so much more fun to wrench while doing an upgrade than just swapping a failed part

and with the BPD kit you can change a cooler or even back flush it in just minutes

vs many hours

I think I have had mine for about 2 years now and no issues at all https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/product_p/vk688-300.htm

OEM_OilCooler_footer.jpg

Last edited:

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
After replacing 3 oil coolers I got the Oil cooler relocation kit. Now when oil temp gets out of hand I simply back flush. As stated above way esaier to flush and you could probably change the cooler is 30mins-1hr.

Zmann

Reaction score
i have full port ball valves and hose tees on the inlet and outlet to my BPD
relocation kit so literately minutes for me to flush

Zmann

Reaction score
Definitely be looking into it, do they offer a forum discount?

On the vk 688 kit that has the Oil cooler included ( not the kit without the cooler) https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/product_p/vk688.htm

if you enter the code VINCE you save a bunch of coin
I just tried it and it works

VINCE [VK688-100] saves a whopping -$345.00
so 1595.00 reduces to 1250.00

( Andrew just confirmed this deal is still active
they do offer 10% Active Military also but it is one or the other and this case the VINCE code is better )

the cost of doing an OEM cooler is about 500.00 if you do it on the cheap so really these relocation kits with the discount are not the cost of 5 oil cooler jobs like mentioned and with the ease of maintenance this will likely be the last oil cooler you need IMO

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
I really am trying to sell you on this LOL
just because I love my kit so much ;-)
and while doing an oil cooler replacement you will really appreciate getting it out of the valley ..forever

the BPD full kit comes with the real FORD cooler and all the gaskets

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Wow, my luck! The coupon expired on March 26, 2017. I am in need of a cooler soon and was thinking about just biting the bullet and doing a BPD kit and calling it done. But the $345 saving is gone I may just swap in another stock cooler!

Latest posts

Members online