Correct Coolant

scottrwilliams83

Reaction score
Quick question, I did an EGR ****** about a month ago and had to flush the coolant. Everything was fine. O’Reilly’s auto parts recommended I used their Dex cool 50/50 antifreeze when I was getting my supplies for the job. Today I went into a different O’Reillys to buy a gallon of coolant just to top off after I noticed it was a little low, and the technician said that that was the wrong type of coolant I had in there. He recommended Zerex and said that DEX is for newer trucks, and has caused a lot of issues. I have a 2012 F-250 6.7. Do you guys recommend a full flush or am I OK to mix these two types of coolants.
39e8a239331360f601a26977b63399a3.jpg

153cd70cd2b887646c93d48900381454.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Whs^

The orange dex cool type stuff was originally in the truck. Ford has updated to a new yellow which may be what the zerex is, but I’m not sure on that. The Ford stuff mixes with no issue from what they’ve told me, but with aftermarket **** like that I’d probably stick to what you put in it. Something about that universal fit nothing that’s typical with parts store stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether or not dex cool and Ford orange are the same? And is zerex g05 the same as Ford gold?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether or not dex cool and Ford orange are the same? And is zerex g05 the same as Ford gold?

I e been told by parts guys that orange and dexcool are the same. Not sure on the zerex and gold, but there is now yellow from Ford as well that is different from gold and is the replacement for orange.

webb06

Reaction score
I e been told by parts guys that orange and dexcool are the same. Not sure on the zerex and gold, but there is now yellow from Ford as well that is different from gold and is the replacement for orange.

Ya we use the new yellow all the time.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
What a confusing mess trying to find the correct coolant.

Attached are the bulletins showing compatibility on new vs old antifreeze from ford. You can mix no problem.

Also attached is the spec requirements for 6.7 coolant. Which is WSS-M97B44 d or d2(which just means diluted or concentrated)

V12 additive is correct.

I have been using Fleetrite ELC for years. Now I cannot find anything that says it meets for spec. So is probably time to change.

Attachments

• FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf
    151.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Coolants.pdf
    225.7 KB · Views: 47

ncollins64

Reaction score
I drain my crap out and I run Cat elc in everything I own. Never a problem. If it’s good enough for cats million dollar diesel machines then it’s good enough for all my diesel trucks

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I drain my crap out and I run Cat elc in everything I own. Never a problem. If it’s good enough for cats million dollar diesel machines then it’s good enough for all my diesel trucks
I am kind of thinking that. Right now I am more worried about how much I have mixed.

I have a coolant leak, the crossover pipe towards the front of the engine. In comparison, 187k and my turbo coolant line doesn't leak.

Wonder if that has something to do with the coolant choices.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm about to service the SHO and I think I'm going with the new Motorcraft yellow(green). SHO has orange and I'm not doing a hardcore flush, just drain and refill with distilled water a few times.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
My only slight issue here is I don't think Cat has any aluminum pieces like we do, alum heads, front/rear covers.

Big thing is being able to cope with several different metals in the same cooling system.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
My only slight issue here is I don't think Cat has any aluminum pieces like we do, alum heads, front/rear covers.

Big thing is being able to cope with several different metals in the same cooling system.
Detroit/Mercedes does as well as the Cummins ISX and it is approved for those.

As well as the Paccar MX, and IH Maxforce.

I think ford spec has something to do with biodegradable level, or "organic" coolant. Really not sure.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Yea I’ll have to find the link where I read the cat elc is compatiable with aluminum, cast iron etc but I do know it said it exceeds requirements for Cummins, paccarr, Detroit as well.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Called the dealer last year when I did water pump on my 5.0 and the new for everything is yellow. One gallon concentrate and one gallon distilled water and you’ve got 2 gallons of diluted antifreeze from the dealer.

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Yea I’ll have to find the link where I read the cat elc is compatiable with aluminum, cast iron etc but I do know it said it exceeds requirements for Cummins, paccarr, Detroit as well.
Both CAT ELC and ELI (same additive pack - glycol free) are NOAT coolants and compatible with aluminum.

No issues mixing NOAT & OAT coolants, you just diminish the additional cavitation protection nitrites provide.

I've always abided by the rule that you can use a NOAT/OAT coolant in place of a HOAT/IAT, but not the other way around.

Definitely do not mix NOAT / OAT coolants with HOAT or IAT as this is when you will run into issues with silicates coming out of suspension and sludge forming.

1682624221821.png
1682624513714.png

Latest posts

Members online