Degas cap pukes coolant sometimes

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's horrible and I don't understand the issues still with head Gaskets.

I've done probably over 500 sets with nothing but basic ARPs, hand cleaned deck, and old style machine shop finish on the heads..... And never a failure....

The o rings are a gimic IMO

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Does he use factory head gaskets? Some of it might be the placement of the O-ring?

I was planning to O-ring my 6.4. But if its truly a problem I want nothing to do with it.

Diesel625

Reaction score
Finally getting a chance to take my truck in. I will update what the shop finds, and what I’m doing to get it fixed. I’m definitely going with arp 625 studs this time, unless it not a necessary upgrade. Also, I’m adding an odawg s3r intake.

Hartwig

Reaction score
Germany a country that no longer belongs to Ge
Which studs are currently installed?
The ARP 250-4202 are tightened with 210 ft lbs. I find that quite a lot. I have doubts that more torque on the stud leads to more clamping force from the head to the block. I am afraid that too much torque will affect the shape of the cylindrical cylinder bore.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I’ve had a few that have had issues with o ringed heads and standard arps. Last truck I had an issue with ended up having a couple of cylinders that had damage on the block in the head gasket sealing ring. Almost looked like it was sleeved and a sleeve settled. That truck had gone about 20k before he started having issues. We ended up short blocking it. I’ve blown head gaskets with o rings and standard studs, however the short block I had in it at the time we had gotten cause the guy couldn’t keep head gaskets in it, and I was pushing like 65psi of boost. Although it had lasted about 10k before I blew them. We honestly haven’t had any issues with ones we’ve put o ringed heads on and 625s. I think the standard arps still stretch a bit, where the 625s don’t stretch at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hartwig

Reaction score
I think it also makes a lot of difference which tune is driven and with which temperatures the engine is operated (the cooling system has to do its job). Personally, I don't think it's the studs. There are too many stock engines with bolts on the road with high mileage.

Hartwig

Reaction score
I’ve had a few that have had issues with o ringed heads and standard arps. Last truck I had an issue with ended up having a couple of cylinders that had damage on the block in the head gasket sealing ring. Almost looked like it was sleeved and a sleeve settled. That truck had gone about 20k before he started having issues. We ended up short blocking it. I’ve blown head gaskets with o rings and standard studs, however the short block I had in it at the time we had gotten cause the guy couldn’t keep head gaskets in it, and I was pushing like 65psi of boost. Although it had lasted about 10k before I blew them. We honestly haven’t had any issues with ones we’ve put o ringed heads on and 625s. I think the standard arps still stretch a bit, where the 625s don’t stretch at all

One question about this: was the HG job(s) done cab on ? Were the heads machined? In my opinion, for this work either the cab must be off or the engine must be pulled. Often a block lapping by hand is necessary, because the factory block surfaces are too bad . In my opinion, such work should not be done cab on .
And: were air tools used? Many ruin their block surfaces with these brushes .
Of course, once the surfaces are ruined, the problems will keep coming back. I have made a short video of how I check the flatness of the heads (the head shown is crooked, both heads are replaced). I also do the same work on each block).

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
One question about this: was the HG job(s) done cab on ? Were the heads machined? In my opinion, for this work either the cab must be off or the engine must be pulled. Often a block lapping by hand is necessary, because the factory block surfaces are too bad . In my opinion, such work should not be done cab on .
And: were air tools used? Many ruin their block surfaces with these brushes .
Of course, once the surfaces are ruined, the problems will keep coming back. I have made a short video of how I check the flatness of the heads (the head shown is crooked, both heads are replaced). I also do the same work on each block).

I used to do them cab on, hadn’t had really any issues. Now due to me getting older and starting to feel some of the dumb shit I did when I was younger, I pull the motor. I do typically use a whiz wheel and a nubby pad, I use the soft ones as to not **** up the surfaces. We don’t have heads machines, if a head is bad, we throw a new set of kill devil heads on, as machining around here costs about as much as a set of kill devil heads.

Hartwig

Reaction score
I used to do them cab on, hadn’t had really any issues. Now due to me getting older and starting to feel some of the dumb shit I did when I was younger, I pull the motor. I do typically use a whiz wheel and a nubby pad, I use the soft ones as to not **** up the surfaces. We don’t have heads machines, if a head is bad, we throw a new set of kill devil heads on, as machining around here costs about as much as a set of kill devil heads.

Are you using their aluminum ICON heads or their steel cast heads?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are you using their aluminum ICON heads or their steel cast heads?

Using the irons for the most part. The icons have had a backlog on orders, and are quite a bit more expensive than the iron heads. So even if we could get them, I think most customers are going to opt for the irons

Hartwig

Reaction score
Not yet. The shop my truck is at is pretty busy right now, and had moved locations so it’s being delayed. I’m actually calling to get an update tomorrow.
I also had several times with an employee at KDD named Lauralee contact (my Englishis unfortunately too bad to phone). This said also always the same...that in 1-2 weeks with the processing of the heads is begun...unfortunately she does not say the truth. Meanwhile I do not even get a response .

This company has quite a good reputation, but unfortunately they do not respond to written requests: